2010/11 Season

chelseafan

I am not so sure about Barcelona beating United.

If you would have asked me last November after the 5-0 demolition of Real at Camp Nou I would have said nobody could touch them but they have gone off the boil recently where as United have started to peak.

I have seen Barca live on three occasions recently against Real they were average in the League game 1-1, totaly outplayed in the Copa Del Rey and in first leg of Champions League semi only got into the game when Real went down to 10 men.

Midfield battle should be interesting, Xavi and Iniesta up against Fletcher and Carrick, United will play the physical game which the Spanish don't like which then cuts off the supply line to Messi.

It will be an interesting encounter.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continental referees negate the physical play of British sides. Anything can happen but its a long shot for Man Utd and they are tired. Lots of games, tired legs, injuries. No comparison in the midfield. Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson, etc. none can touch or get into Barca's midfield.

ALso, Barca should have the lions share of possession.

My guess is Fergie will pack the midfield in hopes of neutralizing Barca's but that means a lone striker up top and not many shots on goal. Barca are used to that kind of game.

Steve

I hear what you are saying but the ref for the Shalke Games did let United play their game.

Barca are not as fearsome as people may think, I am currently working / living in Spain and have been fortunate enough to see many Barca games this season, thats what having a football mad catalan girlfriend does for you, and in recent weeks they are not the team they were in late 2010.

On the other hand Unitred seem to be peaking right now at the right time.If we get the point required at Ewood this weekand most of the starting XI will then have 2 week break beofre the final and will be fresh for it.

I can see them lining up 4-4-1-1 with Rooney playing in the hole, such a formation he can make it a 5 man midfield when defending and become the second striker when attacking.

Well looking forward to the final.

Anything can happen and sometimes anything can happen.

What I saw in the Schalke game was more Schalke being outclased than the referee allowing Man Utd to play their game. It didn't matter frankly. He could have called a typical continental game and Man Utd would have won at a canter. It was lopsided.

Ironcially, its an English referee that will be refereeing the final, Howard Webb. Fergie has gone on the offensive and criticized him. Head games I take it. In theory Webb would ref a more British game but it being the CL final he may call fouls that he typically wouldn't. However, having Webb and the game in England 'should' work in ManUtd's favor. It just may be that little edge.

If Barca are overrated its not by much. They show up for big games. In a season, teams rarely look great every game. They are involved in 4 competitions and even in Man Utd's and Arsenal's best years they looked ordinary numerous times during the course of the regular season. Its hard to get up for a league or cup game against West Brom just as its hard for Barca against Getafe. Furhermore, this is one of the poorer Man Utd sides (the whole league is poor this season) conversely its one of the best Barca sides.

Watching them play this season several times its hard to say they are overrated. Even in bad games. Those games happens. 92 points in a league that's arguably one of the top 3 in the world is no easy thing.

Point is, Barca deserve to be strong favorites. Strong favorites do lose. Man Utd would have to play a near perfect game to win. Possible? Sure. But if Barca show up and play their best or near their best its hard to see Man Utd, even at their best, win. Good luck though.

Archived