Essential Thai phrases for the new traveler

dave32

Another site slapped together by someone who doesn't speak Thai worth crap. If you really want to see some howlers, read the Thai or Lao language advice on the SE Asian thorn of the Looney Planet board. :p

Flash, the site is a light-hearted listing of reader submissions of how to curse in foreign languages. It wasn't slapped together by 'someone.' Haha. And I'm sure the designers don't speak Thai at all - it addresses any language that a user submits.

It is not an actual language/cultural site that takes itself serious or should be interpreted thus, a la lonely planet.

Obviously the reader vetting of the translations isn't very rich though, as KS pointed out. And that's a shame, I'll have to use trial and error with any new vocab.

:)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

It's not very accurate :)

Just going through the Dutch listing, which is very short btw and it shouldn't be as Dutch is very good for swearing :)

There are a couple sentences there that people don't really use. Nor have I ever heard 'verliezer' (i.e. 'loser', although loser in English has a much broader scope than the same word in Dutch) used as an insult.

Plenty of much more common ones are not listed. E.g.: verdomme (damn), godverdomme (goddamn), tering**** (fucking****), lul (dick), eikel (literally acorn, but refers to the tip of a dick), klootzak (I guess scrotum?), hufter (loosely the same usage as cunt I guess, but only when referring to people, mainly men).

Oh, and one of my favorites for nitpickers: miereneuker (literally antfucker)

Sanuk!

Hi' date='

It's not very accurate :)[/quote']

Actually, Bust gets asked that a lot, so he should know. 555555555555 And it's usually in the form of "om kuay chai mai". :content:

HH (just joking around, Bust)

:boxing:

Okay, dude. The site would open for me at work, so I coudn't see it.

Years ago I remember an English/Thai and Thai/English dictionary called "The Little Red Book of Dirty Words" or something similar. I wish I'd bought it when I saw it, since I've never run across it again. It was good ... obviously written by someone very fluent in both languages.

One of my Thai colleagues told me she'd seen that poem "Here I sit, broken hearted ... on a restroom wall at LA International Airport - only written in perfect Thai. She figured it had to have been done by a Thai studying in the US. :D

Archived