Incompetent Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MOTS), Thailand?

hunghung

Sometimes it is just the principle of the matter and not so much the money :dunno:

Ah, principles, a lawyers favourite word :beer:

As to the OP post, I would have thought that a legal claim against the tourist operator was the first option, but then, I would have thought a few people would have talked him out of that as a lost cause.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point was only about the time and energy one wants to spend. Easy to pass along info about banking fees, and let people vote with their feet (which was mostly what this guy is trying to do), dealing with the authorities in Thailand is a different matter and the OP should have figured out by now he dealt with a shady business and is barking up the wrong tree, as far as that's concerned. His fault being trusting them without doing the legwork, for example, what trade associations (like PATA) do they belong to.

That aspect is actually a bit near and dear to me, because my father was in the industry and co-founded an association of tour operators in the US for the purpose of assuring the public and travel agents that their product was insured against mishaps or even bankruptcy, because fly-by-night operations at the time had been giving the industry a black eye. That association is still around today, but I think Thailand still has a ways to go in developing the same.

Oh, this poor boy felt he was cheated by the travel agent and the Cambodians.

BOO-HOO, little man...there's no sympathy from me!!

You overpaid for the Cambo visa, yet you _knew_ the actual cost. Oh, gee, too bad, but most naive travelers obtaining a visa at the various Cambo entry point gets overcharged by the scammers at Cambo Immigration. All Thai companies doing Cambo farang visa runs to PoiPet have the visa overcharges built into their fees. Unless you are patient enough to stand up for your rights, you'll always overpay for the Cambo visa at the border. I've never paid more that $20-US, in many entries in the last 10-years. No sympathy from me!

Poor boy got nicked exchanging money into Cambo Riel. You _knew_ the actual exchange rate, yet exchanged your money at an unfavorable rate. Now who is the fool here! No sympathy from me.

You're complaining to the MOT, when your problem was with the travel agent. Apparently you enjoy whining and pissing in the wind. Maybe your mom will console you.

Small claim court is the best way to resolve the financial aspect of the case, but there is no small claim court in Thailand. Using a lawyer to file a claim makes no financial sense.

No. I didn't exchange for Cambodian currency at the rip-off exchange place (please read the other post carefully.)

No one on the Cambodia side ripped me off. Maneerat intentionally cut corner on my tour (by not paying enough to tour operators in Cambodia) so that it can make more money.

Archived