The Games In Delhi

bust

Not sure if one would qualify India as 3rd world. Parts of it is surely is but as a whole its a 'modern' nation I suppose.

In any event, there is a fear of sporting organizations like the Olympic Committee, FIFA, etc. to let poor countries host large international events. Things such as this is the reason.

The Indian government really should have hired a consultant. Someone or some organization that knew how to plan such events to oversee it all. It embarrasses the nation.

I had a similar experience in Caracas onece when they hosted a track meet that had a few dozen countries involved. The facilities were not completed. The American and Canadian contingents stayed in hotels rather than live there. I knew a Venuezulan runner from Philly and he was totally embarassed about it all.

There was a very real fear from FIFA that South Africa weren't going to pull off the world cup. They were behind schedule at one point from what I understand.

I have it from a very reliable source that the Athens Olympics were actually finished by the IOC not the games organisers. Did a face saving deal.

Don't need to be third world or developing to fuck up.

I really think there are a multitude of issues. security will be a big concern.

Now many of the athletes are staying in the hotels where are the visitors going to stay?

And yet India has many very wealthy families - some of the wealthiest men in the world. It's a wonder there hasn't been a popular revolution, with the unbelievable poverty of the majority. I assume it's because of their religious beliefs - Hinduism with its castes and Islam with its "Inshallah". I worked with an educated Indian woman who told me she'd never seen any "slums" in Bangkok. What were called slums here would be the envy of millions in India. My one brief visit to India was enough for me, though I love the food and like the people.

Folks who bitch about living in "slums" in the US need to take a trip to India to see how lucky they are. A beautiful country with fantastic scenery, but India's poverty is absolutely shocking to a westerner - or to a Thai. I knew a Thai monk working on his MA at my university. He had spent a year in Mumbai, sent to study something there. He told me how shocked he was by what he saw - and how happy he was to come back to Thailand.

I know an India guy here in Australia. Owns the biggest sports ball factory in the world.....size of 5 football fields. This ball factory is only 10% of his business. Incredibly wealthy but pays his workers pittance.

Seems the elite like it to stay that way. never had any desire to visit India.

Archived