BTS Airport link

Lusty

Not to my knowledge, it goes to Suk and then apparently you get off traipse down several sets of stairs (not good for those with suitcases) and then into a skytrain station on the Suk line and thence to Nana.

But not having experienced this I may be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on the Airport Train and for information purposes for others who might be thinking of doing the same.

I was recently staying off Soi 18 and decided to take the Airport train from Makkasan to the Airport when I was leaving.

I got a meter taxi at 3:30 pm and headed for Makkasan Station.

The traffic was heavy enough. On crossing the railway lines at Makkasan there is a left turn which should bring you into the station. However, that road was declared one way and not the way we wanted. The driver went on a little bit more and turned into the next left turn. He hadn't a clue where he was going. Anyway we were directed to continue on up this road and basically we ended up on the other side of the station i.e. on the one way road.

He drove up to the end where we saw others getting out of a taxi. The time was then 3:45 pm so a quick enough journey. Obviously you'd do it in about 5 minutes if there was no traffic.

When you get out you're directed to enter the building and go to the 3rd. floor in the lift.

On exiting the lift on the 3rd. floor (Concourse Level) you then have to walk along a long corridor, no different to getting to your check in at the airport. However, there are no trollies available. You then get to the ticket office and after that you're directed to an escalator nearby which brings you to the platform level.

Your ticket, 100 Baht, is a return ticket i.e. you can get the train to the airport and return again for the 100 Baht. Useful if your lady friend wants to see you off at the airport - she has free transport back to Makkasan.

The train left at just a few minutes after 4 pm and ran non-stop to the airport arriving in 15 minutes.

When you get out of the train thats when the fun starts because the lift situation isn't ideal to get to departures. The reason I found for that was that people on other floors above yours were getting in the lift and when it arrived at the station level it was full.

I ended up going up the travelator and doing the same as the others and eventually getting to departures.

Overall I got from my hotel off Soi 18 to departure level in the airport in 1 hour which isn't bad.

The cost of the taxi was 60 Baht by the way.

I had 1 big suitcase and a ruck sack.

When they get themselves sorted at Makkasan it should be better. There was no sign posts telling the taxi drivers where to go to drop off passengers.

There was about 10 people getting the train at Makkasan and about 20 got off the train so not heavily used just yet.

I've seen a number of people using the BTS to Phaya Thai station and getting the other Airport train from there. This train stops at all stops and many more people use it. Its presently at 15 Baht a trip.

Hope this is some help for anyone thinking of using the Express train from Makkasan.

This train by the way runs until midnight so not much use for after midnight arrivals.

• 1 month later...

At the Phaya Thai Rail Link stop there is a bridge connecting the Phaya Thai Skytrain stop that you can use. No need to go to ground level at all.

At Makkasan there is a connection for the subway. Unless they have improved things over the past three weeks that connection is a little rough at this time. I think they will put in some moving ramps or something in the future. Pavement was a little rough for wheelies but not all that impossible if you are healthy!

I would like to see the Skytrain and the Rail Link stay open an hour or two longer. I think the new rail link is pretty good!

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

Happy holidays!

I would definitely take it from the airport to get to Sukhumvit Station and walk to nearby hotels with only a carry-on. Provided there's not too much wait for the non-stop (I'm always in a mad rush to get the hell out of the airport on arrival...for some reason, I don't have the same sense of urgency about departure).

Speaking of poor planning, expansion plans for LAX call for bringing the light rail line into the terminal area. At present, there is nowhere to store luggage in the cars, although I use it (again, with only carry-on). Totally impractical for most travelers, but at least it will get some airport employees to and from work.

I would definitely take it from the airport to get to Sukhumvit Station and walk to nearby hotels with only a carry-on. Provided there's not too much wait for the non-stop (I'm always in a mad rush to get the hell out of the airport on arrival...for some reason, I don't have the same sense of urgency about departure).

Speaking of poor planning, expansion plans for LAX call for bringing the light rail line into the terminal area. At present, there is nowhere to store luggage in the cars, although I use it (again, with only carry-on). Totally impractical for most travelers, but at least it will get some airport employees to and from work.

Archived