Can some one explain "bit torrents" to me?

TheCorinthian

The problem with USENET is that the servers actually ARE hosting the files and its not difficult for the anti-pirates to get court orders. I believe the server logs show what files you download. With bittorrent it is nearly impossible for them to prove that you actually distributed the file to someone which is why they are trying to avoid having to prove damages.

Shygye,

I don't think you have to worry about fragmentation since the filespace is allocated at start up of the torrent - at least it is with Azureus Vuze maybe your client does not do that.

The problem with USENET is that the servers actually ARE hosting the files and its not difficult for the anti-pirates to get court orders. I believe the server logs show what files you download. With bittorrent it is nearly impossible for them to prove that you actually distributed the file to someone which is why they are trying to avoid having to prove damages.

Usenet providers deliberately don't keep records for long. I have yet to hear of a prosecution for a download from usenet. I have heard of many, many prosecutions for bittorent.

In some countries usent providers have been attacked by lawers, but not very successful yet. Currently it is much more secure to download files from usenet.

Downloading torrent files can lead to expensive fines, especially in the USA, or even to the complete cut of your internet connection (see "Three Strike Law" in France and something similar in GB).

If you really want, that *noone* will be able to trace you IP number** when you download stuff via torrent sites you'll need to use services like Ipredator.

**The IP number is assigned to you by your internet service provider every time you connect to the net and can be easily connected to the name and address of owner of the connection.

I will attest to torrents starting off slow and then hitting warp speed before you know it. One time I was downloading a movie and it started off super slow; said something like time remaining = 2 years. Next thing I know time remaining = 3 weeks. Progress but still going to take a while.

Left the house for about an hour and a half. Came back in and the damn thing was finished downloading. I hearts me some bit torrent.

Archived