USA election thread - If you're not interested, then don't look!

Flashermac

555555555555 Kamui's points can not be debated. What he said regarding education, infrastructure, and foreign "adventures" is all true.

There are solutions to these problems (other than increasing taxes and wasteful spending and patronizing special interests). All it takes is common sense.

(Parenthetically, I'd point out that India and China, for example, do not saddle their citizens with high taxes, do not fund the level/number of "entitlement" programs, do not hold their manufacturers to the same stringent requirements as the Western countries do.)

HH

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised you haven't got the buggers in your backyard cleaning the pool. :grin: :grin:

Actually Hugh I agree with you about fiscal responsibility and not bowing to special interest groups. Trouble is I don't see that in the GOP. Maybe the Tea Party can knock some common sense into them but don't hold your breath.

555555555555 Kamui's points can not be debated. What he said regarding education, infrastructure, and foreign "adventures" is all true.

There are solutions to these problems (other than increasing taxes and wasteful spending and patronizing special interests). All it takes is common sense.

(Parenthetically, I'd point out that India and China, for example, do not saddle their citizens with high taxes, do not fund the level/number of "entitlement" programs, do not hold their manufacturers to the same stringent requirements as the Western countries do.)

HH

This is rich, coming from someone who has spent his adult life sucking on taxpayer tit.

Will the Republicans spend wisely on education, infrastructure, yadda, yadda? Quick answer is no. Democrats won't either. Education can work. Small classes, committed teachers, etc. 60 Minutes did a show on Chicago's West Side Prep, a private school in the ghetto of Chicago run by a woman named Marva Collins. The school took in kids that even the failed chicago school system said were not able to learn or function in their school. These kids went on to college in numbers that Exeter and others would be proud to have.

How did it work? Small classes. A committed teacher who used tough love. They did a follow up and all of them save one (he wanted a career in the military) graduated from college.

I spent my last year of HS in the 'burbs because the schools in my area didn't have calculus and other classes needed to go to a good university.

In LA Unified School district, Crenshaw HS. A renknown basketball power with many state championships didn't have school books. Litterally, while their counterpart in the SF Valley had computers and such. How can two schools in the SAME school district be so disparant? So different?

We can't blame the 'uiquitious' man and racism. This was occuring while LA had a black mayor (Bradley) and a black head of the school board with a majority of the board minorities. EVERYONE is on the take. Groups that got in late to the game (Latin and blacks) figured out what their predecessors found out.

Government spending in of itself is not a bad thing. WHAT they spend it on is. Why do we need a fifth of our budget for defense? Even in 'war time', we have more than enough. Those monies are not spent wisely either.

Clinton changed social welfare. We can't keep blaming that for our problems. It is a problem but it didn't cause the mess we are now in. During the '90s social welfare fell a whopping 35% and it had been steadily declining. The economic crisis may have bumped that number up. Remember, there is a time limit on how long you can receive welfare now.

So you don't have the lifetime members. The women nowadays aren't stupid, they know they can't have 8 kids on welfare. People do want to work. There simply is nothing out there coupled with being under educated and under skilled. The latter is their own fault to a large extent.

Corporate welfare, from what I've always read, costs way more. I'm not talking about struggling companies either, but companies that don't need it. Archer Midlands reaping untold millions on subsidies and such that is designed for small farmers just to name one example.

wiki graph of declining welfare recipients through this decade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Welfare_Benefits_Payments_Graph.gif

coporate welfare

According to the Cato Institute, the U.S. federal government spent $92 billion on corporate welfare during fiscal year 2006. Recipients included Boeing, Xerox, IBM, Motorola, Dow Chemical, and General Electric.[6]

Alan Peters and Peter Fisher have estimated that state and local governments provide $40-50 billion annually in economic development incentives,[7] which many critics characterize as corporate welfare.

The Dems, Obama are not liked for the massive bailouts. I was vehementally against it. If as some say (and I have my doubts) that it was necessary, certainly the size of the largesse was way too much for me. I think in hindsight its proven by the huge profits banks are now reporting. The sad fact is they haven't been using the money to provide mortgages and loans as expected. They're being tight. They are feeing us to death and making money in every way except helping the consumer.

The hypocracy is that had Mccain won, he would have done the same exact thing. My guess is even more because of the closer relationship Wall Street has with the Republican party.

Its all BS.

Kinda good to see Rand Paul win a seat. Hope he listens to his dad.

Maybe someone has more insight into him but I think he is more of a traditional Republican than a Libertarian who runs as a Republican to get elected like his father. I think he is close enough to his dad in philosophy to be effective though.

Archived