USA election thread - If you're not interested, then don't look!

Flashermac

I'm surprised you haven't got the buggers in your backyard cleaning the pool. :grin: :grin:

Actually Hugh I agree with you about fiscal responsibility and not bowing to special interest groups. Trouble is I don't see that in the GOP. Maybe the Tea Party can knock some common sense into them but don't hold your breath.

Here is the problem with some things described as pork. Yes, there is the road to no where and sex habits of insect funding that is plain rediculous. However there are hospitals and such that it also funds. Its all pork, and some of it is 'good pork'.

I have a friend in LA. He is a former addict. He is part of a government funded organization that runs a 12 step program. The workers are all minorities, former addicts and a lot of convictions making them ineligble for most jobs.

The program actually works. How do I know? I have been to some of their meetings and have gone to their 'sober parties' on Friday nights to pick up those low self esteem, former addict women who are easy pickings. Yes, I'm that sleazy. Not proud of it. I've gotten to know most of them over time. They are a tight knit group who look out for each other. The organization is funded 95% by government money and the rest from donations and them charging cover charges for their dances and such. The organization provides jobs, fairly good paying jobs for many people who could NEVER make that kind of money elsewhere (mid 20s to 40k a year). With police records it would be impossible. They have bought homes in south central with the money. Some have gotten AA or Bachelors degrees with the money and the pride of working that the job filled them with.

However, this organization is techincally pork. If it were cut, I fear the ramifications.

Problem is how do you have any kinds of means test to keep the ones that do provide some good and not the sex habits of insects stuff? Its a quid pro quo system in Congress. You vote for my needed drug program, hospital or school and I vote for your sex habits of insects for your district.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe someone has more insight into him but I think he is more of a traditional Republican than a Libertarian who runs as a Republican to get elected like his father. I think he is close enough to his dad in philosophy to be effective though.

I see it as good strategy steve. It will be harder for them to pin the 'flaky' tag on him.

Gotta say. I've never been impressed with Michael Steele as GOP chairman. Okay, I'm gonna play the race card. I can't see his appointment as anything more than an answer to the love fest the country had with Obama at the time and made him chairman for the PR.

Since his appointment he's said some stupid, inflamatory things.

Sorry, gotta see his appointment as tokenism. I've always been against it all its forms. However, being the hypocrite that I am, the current state of the economy and given the right amount of money, I'd consider being one.

I have a question. Honestly, I am not being patronizing. I want to have some hope.

To HH, Cav and others on the right and BK, LK and others on the left.

If your parties had all three branches lock, stock and barrell do you honestly think your party could fix this mess right now?

Its an honest question. I used have faith in party politics and I currenly have none. Please, I don't want to hear what their philosphies are. I'm well aware of what they profess. I'm well aware of the official platforms.

With who we currently have available, how much faith do you have in your respective parties?

I don't have much faith in any politicians at the moment. I did like my former Congressman - a good guy my parents knew. He retired after 6 or 7 terms and was replaced by another good guy (Blue Dog Dem.), who unfortunately decided to switch parties because of Pelosi and got stomped by a long time Republican "also ran" in the the GOP primary. The "also ran" has won the seat now - and he is an absolute opportunist, scarcely a drop of integrity in him. Fark. :(

But India are not the lone world superpower with all the arrogance HH espouses. Arrogance is fine if you can walk the talk. Sadly the US no longer can and folks like HH need to wake up and help fix it!

If history has taught us anything, it is that arrogance will destroy the arrogant.

I have a question. Honestly, I am not being patronizing. I want to have some hope.

To HH, Cav and others on the right and BK, LK and others on the left.

If your parties had all three branches lock, stock and barrell do you honestly think your party could fix this mess right now?

Its an honest question. I used have faith in party politics and I currenly have none. Please, I don't want to hear what their philosphies are. I'm well aware of what they profess. I'm well aware of the official platforms.

With who we currently have available, how much faith do you have in your respective parties?

No, I don' think anyone party holding all 3 wings could fix the mess. Ar least not to an acceptable manner to average Americans. Too many special interests need to be satisfied, at the expense of the people.

It would be interesting to see, however, one thing has been proven again and again, Naming people to the SC alters them and politics seems to play less and less a role.

What I would like to see would be a referendum making it so that about every 10 years, NO ONE can be elected. Once you take the need to please everyone out of it, I think some things might get done.

Spin this;

"ABC News projects Republicans will take control of the House of Representatives picking-up between 60 and 70 seats in a resounding rebuke to President Obama and the Democrats.

The GOP House victory would be the biggest gain for a party in a midterm since 1938, when Democrats lost 71 seats amid deep economic malaise during the Great Depression."

Archived