US Dollar Climbing?

cavanami

Dammit HH, would you please stop posting anti-Carter/Clinton shit I agree with? :banghead:

Deregulation nearly killed the industry I worked in, and guess what I specialized in? Tariffs. Not much need for bullshit airline rule legalese when the only government body in the world that cared about that shit (The USDOT) abandoned it. Fuck you Ronnie, Jimmy, fuck you Bill, Hillary, all the Bushes, everyone. Fuck you one and all!

Whew...glad I got that off my chest! Now where is the Grinch smiley? :cover:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And fuck you to the business community. They are holding back not because of "uncertainity" (what the fuck does that even mean HH?) but they see a chance to hold the country hostage and are taking it -- "unless you give us our tax cuts, the country gets it." The corporations and Wall Street are already sitting on a boatload of cash which they have no need to distribute as long as they are making big profits anyway. They simply do not believe they should have to pay higher taxes so they are holding a metaphorical gun to the head of the government and daring it to thwart them.

And it appears to have worked, with Obama's pathetic capitulation on the Bush tax cuts. Citizens United started it, and this is the first baby step to the corporations *really* flexing their muscles. The transformation to corpocracy is now complete. Welcome to Pottersville, everyone.

PS -- HH, you know very well that employment & plant closings is no harbinger of profitability. The numbers are what they are: as a whole, Q3 2010 was the best ever for American business. Sure, you can point to a couple of losers, but that's not the mean.

I recall reading that most of the profits U.S. Business were showing was actually coming from their over seas/off shore interests. So while the company is making money, U.S. Workers are still taking it up the chute...

It was indeed Carter who started fucking the airlines via deregulation, lowered prices, but screwed the workers, and lowered safety standards which hurts the public. The result is the mess we have today, and a loss of decent paying jobs.

Reagan opened the flood gates to union bashing and out sourcing (he even pushed for the off shoring of aircraft maintenance work, which had been prohibited by the FAA). Gush 1 as I recall had spoke out against Regan's economic policies, calling them "Voodoo economics," turns out he was right.

Regardless of party, I don't see anyone really leading the charge to get any jobs back into this country at all, and until that happens, the tax base will continue to suffer, and the government will not have the money needed to keep paying out...so what then? Of course I could be wrong...

I recall reading that most of the profits U.S. Business were showing was actually coming from their over seas/off shore interests. So while the company is making money, U.S. Workers are still taking it up the chute...

It was indeed Carter who started fucking the airlines via deregulation, lowered prices, but screwed the workers, and lowered safety standards which hurts the public. The result is the mess we have today, and a loss of decent paying jobs.

Reagan opened the flood gates to union bashing and out sourcing (he even pushed for the off shoring of aircraft maintenance work, which had been prohibited by the FAA). Gush 1 as I recall had spoke out against Regan's economic policies, calling them "Voodoo economics," turns out he was right.

Regardless of party, I don't see anyone really leading the charge to get any jobs back into this country at all, and until that happens, the tax base will continue to suffer, and the government will not have the money needed to keep paying out...so what then? Of course I could be wrong...

Of course. Do you really think biz care about you? They make money due to the lack of regulation (and the *incentives* to move jobs overseas by the GOP, well, goes without saying), and they are just ducky. They have lost Henry Ford's lesson, that they need to pay people enough to buy their shit, to complete the economic cycle. But this will bring pain for all of us for a couple of decades until someone figures it out. Or pessimistically, will they ever because they are making so much money that they and their even remote family'll never want for anything?

Hence why we are all fucked.

The lower the tax rate, the higher the unemployment; once again simple economics 101. Hence our leaders (ALL of them) show their true colors with Obama's capitulation to extending the idiotic BushCo tax cut sunset. They obviously think that Americans are not unemployed *enough!!!!*

Welcome to the year 1500. You are a serf. Now work the land as you should and be happy for the crumbs you get. If you don't get any crumbs, then you are not working hard enough.

None of us here are high enough on the food chain to matter.

PS -- HH, you know very well that employment & plant closings is no harbinger of profitability.

Not true. Companies close plants on the basis of CURRENT economic conditions, as well as what those companies see for the future. They close plants cuz busines/profits don't equate with expense of operating a facility/employing a person. They also close because their crystal balls tell them that. in the future, they can be more profitable elsewhere (whether in the same business or another). Next time, go to Wharton (UPenn), not Miami. :content:

If I'm not mistaken, you alluded to considering a move to Singapore...a move which might make your business more profitable. Thus, "closing" your shop in BKK is same, same as looking at the profitability of your company...a "harbinger" of sorts.

HH

Actually, that move is purely a personal lifestyle decision. Nothing to do with business. I find I can live *my* same lifestyle in SIN versus BKK without any increase in cost. So why not stay in a 1st world country where everything works versus a 3rd world shithole where it doesn't at the same price?

You are being incongruous. Closing US employment places while opening foreign facilities while still enjoying US protection is a problem. Stealing, in anyone's parlance.

I'm all for freedom to do what you want, but if you fuck your country & your countrymen, you need to be penalized (if the penalty is less than the profit, then OK), not rewarded as they have since BushCo circa 2003 or so.

Hey, if you want to go to India or China, then do so. Just don't expect MY tax dollars to cover your ass with MY legal system when you have intellectual property or other legal issues (e.g., design theft, lead-based child toys, melamine-contaminated milk, etc). That's the issue. Why do you support that? Explain in detail (I know you'll pass, but I gotta ask anyway).

That's 10,000x more welfare than some "undeserving person (i.e., the mythical welfare nigger in a Cadillac)" ever thought of getting and that you so fear. Ya know, if you just owned your position, I'd much more respect you. But you don't have the balls to do so.

Wharton's overrated. Miami, Michigan & Wayne State have done me just fine.

Well, partially correct. If I cannot do what I do for a reasonable fee, I will not do it. But the main reason is the value proposition vis-a-vis my and Mrs LK's personal life.

Visas and shit are complicated, especially if you are not working in that country and have a dependent. I'm an outlier, and no government deals with that well. It is still up in the air.

PS -- HH' date=' you know very well that employment & plant closings is no harbinger of profitability. [/quote']

Not true. Companies close plants on the basis of CURRENT economic conditions, as well as what those companies see for the future. They close plants cuz busines/profits don't equate with expense of operating a facility/employing a person. They also close because their crystal balls tell them that. in the future, they can be more profitable elsewhere (whether in the same business or another). Next time, go to Wharton (UPenn), not Miami. :content:

If I'm not mistaken, you alluded to considering a move to Singapore...a move which might make your business more profitable. Thus, "closing" your shop in BKK is same, same as looking at the profitability of your company...a "harbinger" of sorts.

HH

Companies that I know of that have closed in the USA is because they can get the same job done overseas for a lot less.

Before we lost our manufacturing platform, we lost our mining platform.

I think we are farked.

Archived