Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Post poll: Obama up 8 in Ohio, 4 in Florida

My link

Noonan escalates against Team Romney

If you thought Peggy Noonan was being harsh when she called the Romney campaign "incompetent" earlier this week, check out her Friday column:

It is true that a good debate, especially a good first one, can invigorate a candidate and lead to increased confidence, which can prompt good decisions and sensible statements. There is more than a month between the first debate and the voting: That's enough time for a healthy spiral to begin.

But: The Romney campaign has to get turned around. This week I called it incompetent, but only because I was being polite. I really meant "rolling calamity."

A lot of people weighed in, in I suppose expected ways: "Glad you said this," "Mad you said this." But, some surprises. No one that I know of defended the campaign or argued "you're missing some of its quiet excellence."

Noonan, who says she's gotten encouragement in her sentiments even from some people inside Romney's camp, calls for a new CEO for the Romney operation, after the model of James Baker. There's no indication at this point that any change of that scale is under consideration.

My link

"TALLAHASSEE -- President Obama has opened up a wider lead over Republican challenger Mitt Romney among Florida voters, a new poll released Wednesday by Quinnipiac University found.

Obama leads Romney 53-44 percent in the Quinnipiac University/CBS News/ New York Times swing state poll, compared to a much slimmer 49-46 margin in a poll taken Aug. 23 before either party had held its nominating convention.

The survey also gauged the electorate in two other swing states, Ohio and Pennsylvania, and found the president opening up wider leads there as well. Obama was the leader in Ohio 53-43 percent and 54-42 percent in Pennsylvania in the survey of likely voters.

The poll, taken Sept. 18-24, surveyed 1,196 Florida likely voters, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.8 percent."

LINK

The carrier that China has was bought from a former Soviet satellite and re-fitted with a Chinese engine. That's a long way from building up their arsenal with Chinese built battleships.

I guess the Chinese know that. But that's not the point. It seems that, if they decide for something they will but millions, if not billions into a project as well as much manpower and time needed - like the USA in the 1950s and 1960s.

There was recent a comparison between the number of aerospace engineers in the USA and China graduating each year. In the USA it was like 400 (and numbers going down) and in China like 5000 (and thousands more who applied for it). I can't find the source, but here is a similar comparison:

And, indeed, China’s aviation boom — with catalysts ranging from well-connected tycoons to ambitious American advisers to provincial boosters — is a microcosm of China’s epic rise. Where that country’s core assets can be brought to bear — scale, mass, will, central planning — breathtaking progress ensues.China, for instance, is building 100 new airports today; the U.S., one or two. China has created a giant aeronautical complex in Xi’an for 250,000 engineers.

Read more: http://ideas.time.co.../#ixzz27anNS7Kx

In my opinion no country can afford to underestimate the speed of development in China...

I was in LOS for the 2000 election, but I don't think there was anywhere near the division over that election as now. Nobody cared that much if Al Gore was defeated. The division now is the worst I've ever seen. The Obama people are practically painting Romney as the Anti-Christ. I get sent a steady stream of rightwing Obama-is-a-Muslim-commie-illegal-alien crap from my friends in the States, plus a steady stream of Obama is God from my sister and her friends. It reminds me of the red shirts and yellow shirts in Thailand.

The Mormons believe the Devil/Satan and Jesus are brothers.

Some Christians think this is anti-Christ thinking.......

maybe that is the new Republican way of thinking..... I don't know.

It sounds like the purchase of the battleship was more to "show" China's neighbors that soon China will be a power comparable to the U.S. In other words, mainly intimidation. It will be interesting to see if the U.S. strategy of playing China off of its neighbors in Asia and southeast Asia works. Hopefully, it will work as well as when the U.S. played off the distrust that both China and the Soviet Union had for each other.

Her ancestry has been traced back over 200 years. Not a red skin in it. I'm supposed to have an ancestor who came to Virginia in the mid-1600s and married a local Indian gal, since there weren't many English women around. I figure she was my 7x great grandmother. Since our ancestors double each generation back, that makes me 1/512 Native American. I should register as a minority. It worked for her.

Meanwhile ...

Ahamadinejad Spokesman Gets Behind Kicked on NY Street by Iranian Refugees

Video :)

Hard to argue against the logic. Big Oil has too much of a stranglehold on Washington. The oil companies globally are very powerful. I do think we will see a shift though. China has a voracious apetite for oil. Just like America did during its great expansion when it happened to us.

Because of China's need for oil, they will take an increasing interest in the region to make sure the oil continues flowing. They don't have the navy to do that now but they are rapidly expanding theirs. We'll see Chinese ships in the Middle East in the future. Possibly near future.

For a fascinating insight into the history of Big Oil, view the excellent PBS documentaries "The Seven Sisters of Oil"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOMIY9yAbZw

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Sisters_(oil_companies)