Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

For my draft day: E-1 -4mos $87.90...per month...after 4 months E-1 96.90...

Late 1966. I was ten years old.

My year group (born 1956) was the last one to actually be issued draft cards - but I think that last actual draft lottery was held in 1972 - the US Military went all volunteer as on January 27, 1973.

Cheers!

SS

I hardly think you would have gone, since the last US troops left South Vietnam on 29 March 1973. The only US military remaining there after that were the Marine Corps embassy guards in Saigon.

According to Google, Selective Service announced on 27 January 1973 that there would be no more drafts. However, the law remained in place even though it wasn't being used.

Maybe Bozo can get another Nobel Peace Prize...

Obama Urges Public To Back War On Islamic State

http://news.yahoo.com/yahoo-news-special-report--president-obama-addresses-is-threat-172339793.html

On the eve of Sept. 11, President Barack Obama on Wednesday made a prime-time plea for Americans to support an open-ended war on the brutal fighters of the Islamic State — an escalating Middle East campaign with ill-defined conditions for victory and a timetable that will likely take it into his successor’s term.

Obama made certain to distinguish his approach from his predecessor’s large-scale invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq. He promised ( :rotl: :rotl: :rotl: :rotl: :rotl: ) that there will be no American ground troops taking the fight to the terrorist group also known as ISIL or ISIS...

I was among the very last group to be drafted for active duty in Vietnam.

I received one of those now famous letters that began with "Greetings".

Two weeks before I was to ship out,late June 73 I believe Tricky Dicky ended

the draft-whew :tuxedo: :tuxedo: :tuxedo:

. Before you received the "greetings" letter, you would have received your lottery number, between 1 and 365, depending on your birthday. Any number in the bottom half was golden, with no chance of being drafted. My number was 12 (unfortunately, I've never had the same luck with Powerball). I had my physical and was extremely relieved when Nixon came on TV in January, 1973 and said he was ending the draft. I've had several people say, like Flash, that There was virtually no chance of being sent to Vietnam but at the time, with the unpopularity of the war, going into the services was not something that I was looking forward to.

Stars and Stripes | Sep 10, 2014 | by Chris Carroll

WASHINGTON -- The Air Force said Tuesday it was awaiting a legal opinion from the Defense Department's top lawyer on whether an enlisted airman who's an atheist can opt out of the phrase "so help me God" in his re-enlistment oath.

The airman, stationed at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada, was told in late August that federal law requires those words in the enlistment oath, attorney Monica Miller of the American Humanist Society said. Air Force policy previously allowed airmen to drop the phrase if they wished, but the policy was changed in 2013.

"The opinion that we're seeking will help inform future decisions and the latitude that can be taken with the oath," Air Force spokeswoman Rose Richeson said Tusday. "But the Air Force has to comply with law."

However, a defense official who discussed the matter on the condition of anonymity said the airman's right to modify the oath to fit his lack of religious belief is not in question outside the Air Force.

"I'll tell you that there is no legal requirement to say 'So help me God' in any federal oath/affirmation by a person taking the oath," the official, who was not authorized to speak publicly about the matter, said in an email. "That is, saying 'So help me God' in any federal oath is optional at the discretion of the person taking the oath (not the person administering the oath)."

A host of Supreme Court and lower court cases support the airman's right to opt out of calling on a deity, as does as the text of the U.S. Constitution itself, said military legal expert Eugene Fidell, who teaches military law at Yale University.

According to Article VI of the Constitution, federal officers "shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

But a religious test is what a requirement to say "so help me God" amounts to, Fidell said.

Miller said last week the American Humanist Society was prepared to sue the Air Force and individual officers involved in the decision if the airman is not allowed to reenlist.

The airman, whose term of service expires in November, has chosen to remain anonymous to avoid what he fears would be hostile reactions from others in the military or the public, Miller said.

Smart kid. The religious loons in the military are almost as intolerant as the gaystapo.

" Before you received the "greetings" letter, you would have received your lottery number, between 1 and 365, depending on your birthday. Any number in the bottom half was golden, with no chance of being drafted. My number was 12 (unfortunately, I've never had the same luck with Powerball). I had my physical and was extremely relieved when Nixon came on TV in January, 1973 and said he was ending the draft. I've had several people say, like Flash, that There was virtually no chance of being sent to Vietnam but at the time, with the unpopularity of the war, going into the services was not something that I was looking forward to. "

My number was 91 and then yes later I got that letter. Its easier to think now in retrospect I would not have gone but for the previous 3-4 years there were a lot of the older guys in my neighborhood coming home in boxes...

OH like most of our "leaders" Obama AND his tranny wife are full of sh---

•