What is it like to be single as an older guy?

AD1985

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flash

I recognise that PNG is only against a passport nummber and as such all I need to do is obtain a replacement passport to return but I am not sure that I actualy want to return.

As it currently stands I would say no I am finished with Thailand but that is not to say I may be of a differant opinion further down the line as time passes by.

My other issue is the visa, in the past I have either been on business visa due to employment in Thailand or Non Imm O due to marriage but now I don't have either. I turn 47 in a couple of months time so still looking at just over 3 years before a retirement visa becomes an option.

On the positive side I have contracts for employment until mid 2013 and on projects of this size they always go on a little longer than scheduled so I will just live where the work is until then and consider my options as and when. Now is not the time to make such decisions.

I am currently spending Christmas and New Year in Chile (Don't ask) which I think is probably as physicaly as far away from Thailand that I could possibly get, not a concious decion to be on the other side of the world at this moment it just sort of turned out that way.

Time, as they say, is a great healer so see how I feel this time next year before I start making decisions.

Hope to see you back some time. At least you are in a field where you can find work without much trouble and at a good salary. Thailand is still a great place to be ... if you have money. Also, I'd probably come back some time just to spite the Mrs. As the Terminator said, "I'll be back!" ;)

Ironically, a colleague's wife has just walked out on him. Must be something in the water these days. WTF?

I'm still fairly young (25) but I've been wondering about what life is like as an older guy, single vs married. I don't see a reason to get married before 35 but after that my general conception is that single life is still probably better between 35-45. But after a certain point, marriage becomes more favorable. I imagine that life at 60 or 70 may be quite empty without a family.

I'm interested to hear what the older guys have to say (good and bad) especially if you're single.

I'm not old enough, yet, to know what it's like to be old and single, however I have thought about it.

I’ve never been married and it’s not something I ever think about doing either. I’ll be 50 next year and have spent most of my adult life living on my own, so, although still quite a long way from retirement, I do sometimes think about life on my own when I’m in my 60’s or 70’s.

I don’t think there’s any way I could ever get married, as I’ve said before, “I can’t afford to get married, because I can’t afford to get divorcedâ€Â, but aside from that, when you’ve spent most of your adult life living on your own it would be very difficult, even impossible, at least for me I think, to change from that scenario to living with another person on a permanent basis. I’m too set in my ways to be able to adapt to such a major lifestyle change, at least I think I am. Anyway I'm sure I wouldn’t want it.

Therefore I suppose the ideal scenario for someone like me would be a part time companion. Someone with whom you could do things together maybe a few times a week and who would occasionally stay overnight with you but just not full time. I know what I have just described is a girlfriend but I’m not sure how feasible that is later in life as most women will be wanting a permanent relationship?

"I imagine that life at 60 or 70 may be quite empty without a family."

Stereotype. No more true than a married male.

Life, my adult young lad - is what you make of it.

I have lived and traveled round the planet with a gal and without a gal. Either or - I always had a good time.

One major trick is not to be an assh*le.

And if you find yourself alone and lonely at an older age - just take a trip to LOS. And find a gal. Even old timers have no problem finding a gal.

Alone or with a gal - good times are there for the taking.

Ask any of the old timers about Izzy. He retired and lived at the Nana Hotel. And every time I saw him he looked as happy as could be. And he seemed to have a good group of friends. He may have had a family. But I never viewed or heard of it.

He seemed to smile every day of his "old" life !

How many reading this can state that they smile every day?

Archived