3G to Wifi Router?

Pom Michael

Any travel warriors out there?

Looking for a way to use a 3G sim card to broadcast a local WiFi network.

Portable - not really want a big stand alone system.

Any one have any experience? Looking in Singapore for one to pickup on this trip.

http://www.netgear.com/3G

http://www.netgear.com.au/au/Product/Routers-and-Gateways/3G-Mobile-Broadband/MBR624GU

Limited battery only workings (if available - have not found one yet with this feature).

cigarette lighter adapter available (for car use)

If you have a Windoze or Android smart phone you should be able to use the built in router that will couple your phone data service to the wifi function allowing you to use a laptop wirelessly with your phone network.

Another way is just to put the sim card in an aircard thatplugs in a USB port making your device essentially a mobile data enabled device.

Unless of course you need something altogether different.

Looking for something different.

Example.

In a hotel room (not in home country) - wired only (or charge separately per wireless log in). Want to plug in this device to the wired LAN, and run my own wifi. So all my devices and family in the room can use this one connection. Granted this is not a 3G example.

Example 2.

In Malaysia now with friends from 5 different countries. I have a 3G data sim but works only with one device. Use this new device and share the wifi around the room - without using a notebook computer.

Example 3.

In the car/van driving with others mostly from other countries or family with smart phones but without 3G sims. So can use this device to host my own wifi and not have to get separate 3G accounts for all.

Does a device like this exist?

Looking for something different.

Example.

In a hotel room (not in home country) - wired only (or charge separately per wireless log in). Want to plug in this device to the wired LAN, and run my own wifi. So all my devices and family in the room can use this one connection. Granted this is not a 3G example.

Example 2.

In Malaysia now with friends from 5 different countries. I have a 3G data sim but works only with one device. Use this new device and share the wifi around the room - without using a notebook computer.

Example 3.

In the car/van driving with others mostly from other countries or family with smart phones but without 3G sims. So can use this device to host my own wifi and not have to get separate 3G accounts for all.

Does a device like this exist?

No, you'll need at least two devices:

For LAN to WLAN in hotel rooms you'll find small pocket/travel routers.

For 3G to WIFI you'll need a MiFi, a mobile broadband hot spot. If have never tried this, but have a look at Novatel MiFi's

Example 3: No idea...

LevelOne

... The new LevelOne 3G wireless router offers mobile broadband connections and Wi-Fi. Just plug a compatible 3G notebook adapter into the device's CardBus slot, and you can share a UMTS, EV-DO, or HSDPA network with any Wi-Fi enabled device. It provides redundant, 24/7 connectivity for users with 3G service or a traditional ADSL/cable connection. In the event your Internet connection fails, the MobileSpot Portable router will automatically connect to the Internet via the 3G connection for uninterrupted wireless service. ...

Edimax

A portable, battery-powered wireless router, Edimax's 3G-6210n allows users to share a 3G broadband connection. Also compatible with a standard ADSL or cable Internet connection, the Edimax 3G-6210n is a handy device for travellers, but it requires a separate USB broadband modem to operate, making it a little costly.

Considering its capabilities, the Edimax 3G-6210n is a fairly small device. Its has a minimalist, glossy black design with a row of LEDs on the front that makes it quick to check the router's power, wireless connection and Internet connection status. On the right is a standard Ethernet connection along with a mini-USB port for charging and on the left are LAN//WAN and power switches and a Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) button. ...

Huawei E5 Wi-Fi/3G modem - available at Changi Airport (SIN) for SGD 238.00

Cons:- for all of these, no support for wired connection as the input

Newer versions:-

Huawei E585 Portable Modem Wifi 3G Router

This one acts as it's own SMS receiver - interesting!

Huawei E583C mobile hotspot - this looks like the newest version.

I'm heading to Hong Kong this week, so expect will find what I'm looking for there.

These devices solve my problems in Examples 2 and 3 - but don't help for the other example.

LK's solution would do for that example, but that means an additional device.

I read somewhere about an App for the Wifi-3G Iphone but only works for a jailbroke Iphone, not sure if it would work for the Ipad.

Ok Guys - got it!

The Huawei E583C wireless modem is being used to send this post from the hotel using a 38 HKD unlimited 3G connection per day prepaid micro-sim card. The hotel was charging 100 HKD per day to use their internet - so right away I'm saving money! Speed is good too - at least here in Hong Kong. Plus can use it all day, in the taxi, MTR, waiting at the airport.

Thanks for the feedback, it pointed me in the right direction.

Total cost was HKD 1,380 (about THB 5,480 or USD 177) - still better than the SGD 238 for an older version of this.

Archived