The Wifes Nun

Nervous God

When my wife was a little girl there was a lovely nun, who was someone she could turn for comfort then when things got difficult, someone we all have in our lives.

The nun came from Laos, and still has a Laos passport. So when I first came to the village I was taken up the back of the temple, to a little shack, and proudly told by my wife "Whenever as a little girl I was naughty, or sad, or just wanted to be away, this is where I come, even now"

Out of the shack came a little wizened older lady, with a precarious white cloth buddhist robe wrapped around her, precarious as in tradition it covers one shoulder only, and for comfort it was pretty loose and I was seeing more of the nun than I really wanted too.

Glancing up at me, given she's about a metre tall I think, she gave me a big smile, giggled as if she knew I was seeing more than I should, rearranged "things" and started talking in rapid fire Laos.

And then began my own tradition, of visiting Dar's Nun and my friendship with her.

We called her Dar's nun, as in Bangkok for a few years when I first arrived I was given responsibility of a Buddhist nun from Taiwan, "John's nun" we called her, another lovely lady that was always getting lost as you can in Bangkok.

Dar's nun I would visit every time I came, bring the foods I knew she liked. For me she found quickly I like yellow passion fruit, and would always collect them for me as they grow wild in the forest around her home.

Out of season, she'd often make deep fried banana's, giving me large bags to take away.

When ever friends came and visited, I always on my motorbike tours included visiting Dar's nun as part of the "Village Tour"

If she ever knew I was going to Laos, she sometimes shows up just as we are leaving, difficult as it meant often re-arranging the seating order, but her constant smiling soul just made you happy to be near her, any inconvenience was forgotten instantly.

Besides, my daughter and son now loved her as much as the rest of us, and my daughter following in her mothers steps, sneaking away to her home in the forest behind the temple to visit either alone or with her friends.

My mum was also a regular visitor, enjoying the way she would make her feel welcome,often asking her to stay with her.

My mum often said, "that's where I should be, a simple peaceful life, bugger you kids and your problems" and laugh.

Because always you'd laugh when visiting her.

My mates - some of you guys here, have been with me, and it's interesting, I know you all enjoyed seeing her and her home.

Last year in a big storm a few large trees, we're talking giant trees, fell down on the home, she was fine, home destroyed, so the village rallied around and she a beautiful new brick and wood home built, which she was very proud off.

My wife would still visit her, often when we argue, as couples do, her ultimatum would be, "I go live with the nun and then I can never come back!" would make me laugh and we'd live on.

Sadly the nun hasn't, a few days ago she died suddenly. We knew she had been ill. We'd taken to hospital many times, and she was due for a small stint to go into her heart, but it was diabetes that killed her in the end.

My heart goes out for my family, they have lost part of their soul.

med_1297403940-tanned_DSC00168.JPG

Archived