A general thank you.

Coss

Difficult to know where to post his, but this place seems good.

I was at the airport this morning to see off some friends.

We were sitting in a elevated area with a clear view of the arrivals hall.

Whilst we were there, we heard applause break out. Polite, restrained, but pointed applause.

It transpired that rescue personnel from overseas had arrived in Auckland, en route to Christchurch, and just walked into the arrivals hall. I think that British and USA teams were due this morning.

The locals waiting for friends etc, were so moved by the sight of the 40 or so uniformed rescue men, that almost to a person, applause was offered.

On behalf of all New Zealanders, I would like to tender our heartfelt thanks to all the people and all the countries who are sending or have sent, teams, resources and help to the earthquake site in Christchurch.

It seems that every day, the scope of this disaster is enlarging, and we thank you all for the help we have received.

Cheers

Coss

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haiti ? Ask the people of New Orleans how they feel about the pace of reconstruction after Katrina. I think the US still has the title of 'richest nation on earth', but those riches still come down to zip code.

Getting back to Christchurch, its about a lot more than rebuilding the CBD. When you see the aerial photos of roads and infrastructure that have just been torn up, the enormity of it starts to sink in. Even if they manage to put it all back together within 6 months (highly optimistic, IMO), can the authorities guarantee that it wont happen again ? Would you send your family back into a house on the fault line after seeing the death toll rise as sharply as it has in the last two days ?

Still, they rebuilt sections of California following quakes, including freeways that were buckled like licorice in the midday sun - I guess anything is possible.

Haiti ? Ask the people of New Orleans how they feel about the pace of reconstruction after Katrina. I think the US still has the title of 'richest nation on earth', but those riches still come down to zip code.

I spend over 2 months a year in NO.

You obviously have not been there recently.

{Sorry for the derail Coss!}

Difficult to know where to post his, but this place seems good.

I was at the airport this morning to see off some friends.

We were sitting in a elevated area with a clear view of the arrivals hall.

Whilst we were there, we heard applause break out. Polite, restrained, but pointed applause.

It transpired that rescue personnel from overseas had arrived in Auckland, en route to Christchurch, and just walked into the arrivals hall. I think that British and USA teams were due this morning.

The locals waiting for friends etc, were so moved by the sight of the 40 or so uniformed rescue men, that almost to a person, applause was offered.

On behalf of all New Zealanders, I would like to tender our heartfelt thanks to all the people and all the countries who are sending or have sent, teams, resources and help to the earthquake site in Christchurch.

It seems that every day, the scope of this disaster is enlarging, and we thank you all for the help we have received.

Cheers

Coss

I think that even the cricketers today will show a bond of solidarity in the World Cup Match ... despite the fun and jest between the two countries, Aussies and kiwis have a special bond ... thanks for the thanks :beer:

Archived