A general thank you.

Coss

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But back to New Zealand.

New Orleans is under water. Below sea level.

New Zealand is above sea level. And above water.

New Orleans was Western settled by the French. New Zealand was Western settled by the English.

There is a difference.

Back to New Orleans.

Is it the responsibility of the government (state/federal) to rebuild people's private homes or business?

Yes.

In any natural disaster that IS the role of government.

I disagree.

And our law says different. You are responsible for having the proper protections on your private home. No were does it say the Fed owes you a house.

Hate to continue on the derail (great post coss, I'm sure it was one of those moments), but if the govt is responsible for everything what are insurance companies responsible for? (Assuming they haven't gone bust in which case imo it would be nice for the govt to take over in such situation, or in some cases during our natural disasters where the insurance companies throw their hands in the air and call "Act of God" not my blue)...

Back to New Orleans.

Is it the responsibility of the government (state/federal) to rebuild people's private homes or business?

No, but they do resurrect the town centre in cyclone hit areas of North Qld, because they realise that people would simply walk away without businesses/jobs etc - they will try to do the same in Christchurch.

The issue in NO, if I can believe our leftist ABC journos, is that the funding went into resurrecting the tourist drawcards and not into infrastructure on the 'wrong side of the tracks'. From a trickle-down perspective, getting the tourists back to town makes sense economically, but we all know that hurricanes will be back - its only a matter of time before they are in the same situation. You can make the buildings stronger, but will there ever be a levee big enough to handle the kind of hurricanes the climate change crowd are predicting ? I know it sounds like I watch too many movies, and I accept that, but those movies arent as depressing as what I've seen on the news these past few months.

"but will there ever be a levee big enough to handle the kind of hurricanes the climate change crowd are predicting ?"

Who'd a thunk Christchurch would'a got a second big one, and currently un-said wot about #3?

Irony, ChristChurch, god moving in mysterious ways, yep big movement, fell on us like a tall cow on a flat rock.

Imagine a city call MohammedMosque?

:)

Coss

Yeah, like I should have to pay to rebuild Michael Jackson's lavish estate after an earthquake? Come on man ! Only thing Gov should be responsible for repairing/replacing is public infrastructure.

HH

Exactly.

In NO. The Government had electricity back on, all hospitals back working in a matter of days.

The Government was rescuing people off roof tops in a matter of hours.

In 5 days, everyone that was stupid enough not to listen to the governments warning two days before was safe, fed, and bedded down.

That is the role of government. And it worked flawlessly when compared to the work of other governments else were.

Take Thailand for example when the wave hit.

New Zealand is going in the same direction. (Though it may need some help.)

Archived