I've caved

Coss

It's surprising that computer vendors habitually sell computers that are effectively crippled by insufficient RAM, when the cost of RAM to them is small.

If they put in max RAM at point of sale, their customer satisfaction ratings would sky rocket :)

Because Apple has a huge profit margin on RAM upgrades. :deal:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only 4GB's KS???? I have always maxed out on Ram on any new computer I bought. Only not with this laptop because it was bought for me!

In case I would be able to buy a new desk or laptop I would put in 8 gb at least (if possible off course) probably more even if possible!

W

It's surprising that computer vendors habitually sell computers that are effectively crippled by insufficient RAM, when the cost of RAM to them is small.

If they put in max RAM at point of sale, their customer satisfaction ratings would sky rocket :)

As I see it, any reasonable laptop or desktop should be shipping with 4GB onboard now, and its not a big deal for us to add another 2GB to a machine with only 2 onboard. The problem is netbooks and the really cheap-and-nasty lower end notebooks, many of which are dumped on the Oz market.

At the other end, my boss demands that all laptops are set up as 32-bit Windows machines, and that means that anything over 4GB would only be wasted. The conservative approach is based around the fear that customers will have problems with 64-bit drivers - whatever I think of that from a technical POV, I have to comply. Most of the Tosh laptops that leave our store dont do anything that you couldnt do on a decent netbook, but people often buy the biggest laptop they can afford : 3 years ago, I would have said that made sense, now I'm not so sure.

Getting back to the iPad, I am continuing to resist its charms, esp as the new model will be $130 more expensive in 16GB, Wi-Fi only configuration. Cheap Charlie will save his money for beer and loose women :)

Using GeekBench,

my old 2.16 Dual Core MacBook = 2966

this new 2.2 Quad Core MacBook Pro = 10024

I've ordered 8Gb Ram and a 7200 rpm HD, will post ne score once installed :)

10207 with the 8GB Ram and the 7200 HD

Using GeekBench,

my old 2.16 Dual Core MacBook = 2966

this new 2.2 Quad Core MacBook Pro = 10024

I've ordered 8Gb Ram and a 7200 rpm HD, will post ne score once installed :)

"10207 with the 8GB Ram and the 7200 HD"

Now after tweaking various preferences Geek Bench shows 11099.

Snappy lappy :)

Archived