So can we close the border now?

TheCorinthian

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the US Army was cut back drastically in the 1980s and early '90s, many of the less popular military occupation specialties were moved to the reserve. The Army can't really go to war these days without calling up the reserve units. Might not be a bad thing though, since it prevents the notorious stay-at-home ER and NG units of the VN War, which the politicians were determined never to call up. (Too many casualties in on town or city sort of upsets the locals. Better to spread them out across the nation.) Folks with influence crowded into these units (GWB, Dan Quayle, Sen. Lloyd Bensen's son etc).

Maybe you know the answer to this, Flash.

I thought the National Guard was a part time military set up in each state. I also thought these are regular working people with jobs and families, usually ex military men and women who served a tour of duty, and to be used only in emergencies under the orders of the state's Governor.

I doubt they can be used as a full time border patrol. It's not their function is it?

So, could they be used as more than a part time stop gap emergency military presence? What is the amount of time a Gov can use the NG units in his state? I don't think so, but wonder what their 'contracts' say on this stuff and what and how long they can be used for.

They are 'weekend' warriors mostly that can be used in emergency situations with no hassles from their civ bosses due to their absence from their civilian jobs. But I do believe there are limits to their use and length of full time service to the state. More a state militia in some ways available for short term operations.

Just wondering.

.... and that is why a Navy Seal always comes out on top of a Marine.

Hahahahaha!!! Is this what you are left to...? Petty insults?

I know quite a few Seals. Good guys. Served next to Team 2 in 2007. And either way, you are neither. But dont worry, we'll still be there to fight for you.

Archived