GMAIL Issue

Nervous God

Not sure about that Waerth...

I was told the upload goes at what ever speed you modem works on. That the cancel is just another command that then goes.. and tells the system to stop the msg where ever it is at. So if the system you are on has like a t1 connection, your email would be half way across the net before you could even click the button.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Waerth that's good advice. Thing is reading pm's post, i 555 'googled' the problem and it appears people agree with me. They WANT to be able to cancel a email while it is being sent. But the default is NOT to be able to cancel. People here, any think being able to cancel a email after hitting send should be a feature not a option?

It would be annoying to me. You must have a really slow computer or internet connection for there to even be a delay. Or do you want a 10 sec. delay everytime you hit send?

For those who like to send emails, via the Gmail browser interface, after returning home drunk, here is the solution:

Stop sending mail you later regret

:content:

But here is the real solution for the Gmail interface:

Undo Sent

This feature can't pull back an email that's already gone; it just holds your message for five seconds so you have a chance to hit the panic button. And don't worry – if you close Gmail or your browser crashes in those few seconds, we'll still send your message.

Both have to be activated via Google Labs

Not sure about that Waerth...

I was told the upload goes at what ever speed you modem works on. That the cancel is just another command that then goes.. and tells the system to stop the msg where ever it is at. So if the system you are on has like a t1 connection, your email would be half way across the net before you could even click the button.

Well it has been working like that in practice for me ever since 1995 or so when I used Thunderbirds predecessors.

Off course small email will immediately go and you have to be fast as they are off in a second. But the larger emails with a lot of pictures attached to it is where I usually realize I have made a mistake and there I have anything from a few seconds to 10 minutes to cancel the sending.

Try Thunderbird mr C it really works great especially in those cases where the internet fails but you DO need the info from the mail!

Waerth

You are referring to the generic web browser "Stop Loading Page" button I think. It works with Gmail but only if you are fast - otherwsie page has already loaded. To stop emails being sent you need Un-send email option in Google Labs as already mentioned. Switch it to default on in Gmail options. Most people prefer it default off - since there is no email delay introduced.

It works ok here - both on Firefox 4 and Chrome. The symbol "Stop Loading Page" button greys out after a split second or so, depends how fast your internet is and page load speed. Takes several seconds on EDGE network.

It's got little to do with stopping gmail being sent unintentionally though, for that you need Un-send option as mentioned or do not press send to begin with.

Archived