Football Season 2011-2012

sayjann

It seems that no one wants a CL place. All 3 contenders drop points. I don't think Arsenal getting a win at WBA is any guarantee at all...

Actually Steve, an Arsenal win at WBA will gurantee them 3rd position and a CL place. Of course if Chelsea win the CL final (God forbid) then 3rd place in the PL will only get into the final CL playoff round.

Both Newcastles and Spurs results were good for Arsenal, although 10 man Spurs getting a penalty due to Hutton an ex Spurs player was distinctly annoying!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the 'goal' that never was was impossible to call at the time imo.

and even after many replays i still don't think it was in,goal-line technolgy would probably hsve told it was'nt in i think.

Sayjaan

I don't think that goal line technology would have helped in this instance, a standard all is 68.5 to 69.5 CM diameter which in itself is a 1.33% variance then add in the accuracy of any detection system +/- 0.5 % tops IMHO ( I work in measurement and control) so that gives us 1.8% margin of error

Actually Steve, an Arsenal win at WBA will gurantee them 3rd position and a CL place. Of course if Chelsea win the CL final (God forbid) then 3rd place in the PL will only get into the final CL playoff round.

I know but my fear is that we lose. Its Hodgson's last game as manager so a lot of emotion and they are home and Arsenal has lost to pretty much every club in the bottom half of the table.

Also, our goal differential with the scum has dwindled, maybe 1 or 2 goals at most I think. They have a big game and we draw and they finish ahead maybe.

Goal line technology isn't perfected but at least its far more accurate than the human eye. If we had it people would accept the decision and not have goals argued about for eons.

Goal line technology is a no brainer.

Goal line technology isn't perfected but at least its far more accurate than the human eye. If we had it people would accept the decision and not have goals argued about for eons.

Steve,

I think Muchie may disagree with you, Tafik Bahramov's call on Geoff Hurst "Goal" in the 1966 World Cup won England the trophy and the following year at Hamden Scotland beat England and have forever gone on about how they are world champions.

the technology is quite difficult.

they talk about just to decide if the ball crosses the line and i agree with that.

but what about off-sides?,we have all seen goals scored or disallowed when the officials decisions have been very wrong.

these occurances 'can' make a difference to a result and decide promotion,relegation etc.

other sports have the ability to review a decision of the aggrieved team,manager disagrees.

cricket,rugby and tennis have good examples of this.

it takes seconds to review a decision and does'nt really cause a delay in the pace the game is played.

as to the Rooney goal.

it was voted by a worldwide poll by ordinary people and not just a select few on a commitee.

i personally have seen better but the masses voted for it and that's what counts?.

personally i like a good team goal where there are a lot of passes and movement and then that final pass which ends up in a goal.

i'm not a fan of goals scored when a player just hits it and hopes it goes in.

so the news from Arsenal is that Pat Rice is leaving after 45 odd Years.

any rumours on his decision?,did he just feel it was time to retire?,did he and Wenger decide it was time to finish the partnership? or was he pushed?.

many things happen in-house and are often kept quiet.

but good luck to him after such service and in Steve Bould coming in the tradition of in-house will be continued.

so the news from Arsenal is that Pat Rice is leaving after 45 odd Years.

any rumours on his decision?,did he just feel it was time to retire?,did he and Wenger decide it was time to finish the partnership? or was he pushed?.

He was going to retire at the end of last season but was persauded to stay on for another. He has problems with his knees which I presume makes it difficult to train with the players.

He was going to retire at the end of last season but was persauded to stay on for another. He has problems with his knees which I presume makes it difficult to train with the players.

But wasn't his replacement Steve Bould forced to retire in 2000 at the of 36 whilst playing for Sunderland due to Arthritis?

Archived