Explosion On Sukhumvit?

khunsanuk

Not quite ... but almost, and I am talking about private "universities". They are businesses, pure and simple. If students fail, they won't return to study the next term and thus will not pay their fees. Most of these "universities" are accredited only by the Thai authorities. The degrees may well not be recognised elsewhere. The rajabhat unies may leave a lot to be desired, but at least they do have minimum standards to meet.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i may be asking a silly question but these people you say are against modern science have TV's?,computers?,mobile phones?bank accounts with ATM cards?.

just wondering............... :dunno:

I'm reminded of a news report from some time ago, that had the Taliban, attacking and wrecking, street drinks seller's stalls, on the grounds that they used ice, something that would not have been part of Mohammed's world back then.

The fact that they were riding around in Toyota Hiluxes and using AK47s would have been lost on them.

When the Ayatollah Khomeini was grand poobah, there were serious discussions about destroying the tomb of ancient Persian Emperor Dairus the Great. The reasoning was that he was before Islam, and therefore could not be of any importance.

Mr. Nice Guy:

"If one permits an infidel to continue in his role as a corrupter of the earth, the infidel's moral suffering will be all the worse. If one kills the infidel, and this stops him from perpetrating his misdeeds, his death will be a blessing to him." - Speech on the day of Mohammed's birth (1984)

Always find it interesting that people are capable of holding two wholly contradictory beliefs at the same time (eg, thou shalt not kill - and then being all gung ho to see adversaries killed).

Many years ago, a coworker of mine, Jewish as I recall, stated that the Commandment in question was usually translated as "Thou shalt not kill", but a more accurate translation would be "Thou shalt not murder." This explicitly allows that SOME killings may be necessary, even honorable.

The Roman Catholic Church has had a "just war" doctrine for a very long time. Catholics don't WANT to kill, and are expected to avoid killing if they can, but self-defense and defense of family and friends (and Church!) is an entirely different matter.

Many years ago, a coworker of mine, Jewish as I recall, stated that the Commandment in question was usually translated as "Thou shalt not kill", but a more accurate translation would be "Thou shalt not murder." This explicitly allows that SOME killings may be necessary, even honorable.

The Roman Catholic Church has had a "just war" doctrine for a very long time. Catholics don't WANT to kill, and are expected to avoid killing if they can, but self-defense and defense of family and friends (and Church!) is an entirely different matter.

Yep, like the crusades when whole cities had been plundered and wiped out under the Christian banner. Even worse it didn't matter to the crusaders if the cities where Muslim or Christian...

It can be translated and interpreted different ways, no doubt. I like to pick on religion, but in this case my sentiment is broader than that -- people in general can hold and sustain contradictory beliefs. All of us. The thou shalt not kill was just an example, of course for the Evangelicals who preach all day about the sanctity of life (especially if you're an undeveloped fetus), there is a certain laughable quality at their eagerness for war and violence in the Middle East.

The West doesn't understand the Middle East (I certainly don't), what we need is people influencing/creating foreign policy with sophistication and a reasonable background in the subject area.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that there was a lucky escape to be had by all when these loonies went on their rampage. It just goes to show how vulnerable the general public really are. thank god it didn't happen in a crowded tourist area like K.Sarn Road. I still can't imagine what drives such hatted it certainly doesn't make any sense to want to maim innocent bystanders, so maybe the diplomates were the tartgets, who knows.

The Bali Bombings just go to show the ammount of devastion that people are capable of and lets just hope that nobody ends up requiring the services of a personal injury attorney Thailand.

There never seems to be an end to all of this mindless violence and there aren't any solutions out there on the table I just hope that nobody gets caught in the cross fire along the way.These guys weren’t exactly discreet about their plans though so lets hope that the contenders for the world’s worst terrorists are also as inept as these lot.

Archived