Let's Do A Writing Comp Again

huumlaar

I am sticking it here because concessional user won't/don't/rarely look in the competition forum.

Maybe time for another writing competition?

this board has been good to me over the years, so:-

I'll donate first prize if people are keen, to make it easy, I'll make it books to the value of a $199 on Amazon inc the postage etc IF we get at least 20 short stories, 500 - 1000 words. (Spend it on books pref for the winner but up to the winner I guess)

How about we do it the same as the first comp? What was the word count in that one?

I think members here got to work out the short list?

Max entries per member - 1? It's to stimulate board growth! However if others contribute to 2nd or 3rd prizes I'm open to negotiate that. But we need to get a lot of entries in, more entries, then I'm happy to see people maybe put in 2 of their stories.

Theme? No theme - But I'm open, I like funny stuff, but then again I cry easy.

3 judges, me, and tow others, pun intended if those remember who the other two judges were, how about Flash, he's been an editor,

Maybe we could re-vitalize this board by promoting this across Bangkok a little?

There is a Bangkok Womens Writing Club, the FCCT, a few places that may be interested.

People/KS - your thoughts?

Judges can't enter, etc etc.

Board is pretty quite maybe this may give it a kick if people can spread the word a little to other places.

Be sneaky - use ThaiStories as the advertising site, but drive traffic here by making people submit and vote here :) I won't sponsor ThaiStories, that site means nothing to me, this site is the site I'll sponsor. :)

Up to you - as the Thais say so annoyingly.

Hugh Hoi your thoughts? Flash? Trying to think who was involved in other writing comps, Cent?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After my recent trip I'm inspired mate, I'll give it a crack. Flash, HH, Cent - all good writers. Plenty of other boardmembers have thrown up some master pieces over time.

Be careful throwing postage into the equation huumlaar, I know amazon charges an absolute fortune to places other than the US, and maybe the UK, which is why I bought a kindle.

Great idea, hopefully we can get some interest, I know recent attempts at contests haven't been 100% successful though.

Can we even contemplate such a competition without the ongoing participation of wordsmiths such as frede and Fiery Jack ? Lets face it, the time Jack paid the Soi 4 gal up front, most of us didnt know whether to laugh or cry ! Twain spent a lifetime trying to strike that balance. :stirthepo

Well, the top dogs last time around were OH, Josh and Chuckwow. None of them are on the board any more. Also, the judging was screwed up a bit by one of the judges, who had been given so many free drinks that he added the numbers of the entries in with the number of votes they received. :p

I contacted my old neighbour and work colleague, S. Tsow, to find some judges. He managed to bring Jim Eckhart and Roger Welty. Collin Piprell wasn't free, or he'd have come too. Eckhardt is back in the States now. I could probably round up some of the others. Dean Barrett would probably be willing to show up, unless he is pretending to work on his new book. :hmmm:

Like the idea but the number 20 is a high bar -- not sure there are even 20 different users posting here in a given week.

If it goes down I'd participate, with the request that submissions are anonymous till after the judging (route them through KS or another party). Not to question judge integrity or anything, but most folks here are buddy-buddy (nothing wrong with that) with a smattering of people like me who have no desire to be buds (but value the board and try to contribute, nothing wrong with that either).

One of the most talented writer's I've read re: Thailand, was Turkfist. And came across him here. I think guys like MM, GD, J2 (did he leave again? wtf?) are genuinely bright and I like reading what they have to say in posts, would be interesting to see the submissions if you could get this to work. :)

Hi,

I am definitely open to such a contest and getting ThailandStories to help out with posting stories (we'll post them here as well of course) & promoting should not be a problem.

Stories posted anonymously initially for sure.

I'd say Thailand related for the stories though. I mean, we are a board about Thailand after all :)

Sanuk!

I'm with KS - it has to be about Thailand, even if its just another 'LOS totally fucked me up and I'm never going back' tale. Dave has a point re numbers - we seem to have about 10 folk who post regularly, although I admit that I don't frequent the Arts/Culture forum and a few others.

I'm with KS - it has to be about Thailand, even if its just another 'LOS totally fucked me up and I'm never going back' tale. Dave has a point re numbers - we seem to have about 10 folk who post regularly, although I admit that I don't frequent the Arts/Culture forum and a few others.

Of course Thai stories, the 199 includes the postage, winner gets 199 to spend on Amazon how ever they want too - I'll give it to KS to work out those details I guess, but we need 20 different entries, I'll let him vet them as different.

Point is to get traffic here - advertise on Thaistories maybe so we can get some promotions going on places that may not like this place, but put judging here not on Thai Stores, so people have to come here - stories too I think,

Up to you guys to work out how to drive the traffic to here.

Anyone want to give away a second prize?

If we get less than 20 entries, I'll make the first prize $100. Sorry but we really need to get people making entries, 199 isn't to be sneezed at,

If others chip in for second and third, then I'll me embarrassed into keeping the first prize at 199 most likely, and no doubt with a decent 1st/2nd/3rd, we'll get some real good entries!!!!

Now - what date?

I think we need some time for people to promote this and spread the word!

Whoremongers for wordsmithing!

Flash - maybe this is how we get OH etc back? I chat with him regularly, we all chat with people who've left. Maybe this is how we win some people back. And listen to them on how to keep them back?

Archived