Needed 100 Extras

waerth

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

OK we agree to differ and I will still allow you to life in your dreamworld of incompetence,

Don't you think that is a bit harsh seeing that - AFAIK - you have never been on a movie set in Thailand and have no experience in this field at all. Logic (and yes I am well aware that that usually doesn't apply in Thailand :) ) would indicate that waerth is correct as if they ever pulled such a stunt as you describe it would kill the industry dead as there is no way they could prevent people from finding out about it.

Sanuk!

As often in LOS there seems to be a disconnect between the rule of law and the enforcement of law.

Which of course doesn't mean that raids in regard to working permits won't happen in the future. You just need a change in the political landscape and/or some industry bigwigs who see an advantage in the enforcement of the law and you'll have the raid(s). Like what happened to the Farang P4P scene in past decade when Mr. T. came into power and a 'clean up' suited a certain politician well.

I guess Mekong is too trusting in Thai authorities... (but as I understand as a Farang it is better to follow the rules as much as possible for to avoid to be come an easy target)

I guess Mekong is too trusting in Thai authorities... (but as I understand as a Farang it is better to follow the rules as much as possible for to avoid to be come an easy target)

i am not trusting in Thai Authorities in fact quite the opposite , I had to prove I was a registered engineer in my home country to use "Engineering" in my company name and show my legal papers to allow me to do law. Even if I wish to work away from my home office I have to get consent from Department of Employment to move my Work Permit to a different location, they are that strict and will apply the rules if they wish too.

Add to that ... "will change the rules, if they wish too."

I've mentioned before how until the mid 1980s government university lecturers did not need a work permit. The government had given its permission by hiring us! The labour law clearly said so, and in fact all teachers were exempt. But Immigration suddenly decided we must have one.

The Labour Dept gave us a letter citing the appropriate section of the labour law and saying we were exempt. But when we handed it to them, the Immigration police told us ... "We don't care what the law says. We say you have to have one!" Ever since then lecturers and all teachers have been paying for an annual work permit.

Amazing Thailand ... where the rules can change at any time.

will apply the rules if they wish too.

'Nuff Said!

Exactly PM. three years ago I was doing some work for a all known MNC in Thailand whose offices happen to be located in SCB Plaza Tower West (Thai Home you may know the company) we had clients reps in from the states and the local operation was in Rayong, so we chose to move the meeting to a resort in Rayong, hey I was on paid expenses and it was less travel for me.

Immigration thought otherwise and I was hit with 100,000 Baht fine for working out of province and not reporting it, and had my WP frozen until I could prove my innocence, they are so selective as to who they go after, it was not as if I was in major contravention of my work permit, I was still carrying out the same work I was allowed to, I just didn't happen to report I was working in a different province, such a crime.'

So yes, I am cynical when it comes to full application of Thai Labour Law having been burnt myself.

This 90 day report to your probation officer came out of the blue too. I'd worked here for decades when they suddenly informed us we had to go to Immigration every 3 months. Also, in the '80s I got audited TWICE in 3 years by the tax department. As a well paid friend working for an expat company said to me, "Why are they auditing you? You don't make any money teaching." Damned if I know. :dunno:

If Monte Python were a country ...

Archived