Needed 100 Extras

waerth

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not know why I am even responding but I am.

Mekong it is well known that the rules here are adhered to haphazardly. I just described how it currently works in the film/advert industry.

There are workpermits available, but they cost 10,000 baht or more. Now if you have 100 extra's that you pay 2000 baht a day would you as a production company come to Thailand if you have to pay an extra 10,000 baht per person (100x10,000 is 1 million baht!)? Apart from the hassle it creates as it takes time to sort it out. And about 30% you made a work permit for wouldn't show up on the shooting day (number of dropouts on my last shoot) which means you cannot replace them (which I did) with last minute replacements because they didn't have a WP.

As a company I would shoot elsewhere. Now every day of the month there are at least 2 or 3 commercials shooting somewhere in Thailand. There are over 300 small and bigger movies a year shooting in Thailand. They would all go elsewhere if that happened and they had to pay for all of that.

That is why we have the 10% withholding tax law for foreigners in this industry. People get ducked 10% (most often before their payment, sometimes (stupid companies as this creates a riot) after they get payed). Problem solved. Thai taxman gets his money. People get work and it stays within the law more or less.

But obviously Mekong since you know everything, you knew this already didn't you?

And before people start bashing Thailands "quality". Thailand is well known for the quality it delivers. That is one of the reasons productions come here. Another is the availability of many foreigners for extra parts and a reasonably well sized foreign actors community.

For the quality see:

http://www.livingfilms.com/projects/commercials/

Waerth,

I was being a cynic please don't take it the wrong way, of course I am aware ot the withholding tax and also my obligations to pay the Social Securirty payments for my Thai staff.

No, I don't know everything and have never professed to, except for the fact the longer you live here the less you realize what you know.

As I said it was a cynical tongue in cheek comment from me and I meant no offense towards you personally so please don't take it the wrong way.

Good Luck mate.

Kong

Hi,

Okay, who hacked Mekong's account? :)

Sanuk!

555 I t told you KS I have mellowed out, I am not an asshole anymore just a partial one!

I know W has been through a tough time recently but he is a fighter, I take my hat off to him for continuing to pursue his chosen career choice and I am sincere when I wished him good luck!

There are workpermits available, but they cost 10,000 baht or more. Now if you have 100 extra's that you pay 2000 baht a day would you as a production company come to Thailand if you have to pay an extra 10,000 baht per person (100x10,000 is 1 million baht!)? Apart from the hassle it creates as it takes time to sort it out. And about 30% you made a work permit for wouldn't show up on the shooting day (number of dropouts on my last shoot) which means you cannot replace them (which I did) with last minute replacements because they didn't have a WP.

I guess the US actors from Hangover 2 had an official work permit. drunk.gif

Archived