Are Any Of These Win 7 Ultimate Packages Worhwhile?

gawguy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can you say Windoze is UNIX?

Windoze is C, C++ and assembler where as OSX is UNIX, poor mans version is Android which is LINUX.

Didn't, and sure didn't mean to either. Agreed OS-X is UNIX Windoze is really just a raw DOS. I'm not sure what language UNIX is generally written in but agree that doze would seem to be predominantly a compiled C, C++ base. Not really my part of the field that.

Heck, where did I suggest Windoze was UNIX based anyway, oh if only!

Android has a Linux base for sure, very obvious.

...Finally, (finally ?) getting to the MM's demand for a more lucid explanation to my last post. I find I need to support a number of different systems and I quite enjoy tinkering with the bit and pieces of both hardware and software so I use a computer that is perhaps not so normal. The machine is Intel based and has 4 hard disks, 2 of 500GB and 2 of 1TB. Each drive is bootable though with a different OS, the 2 500GB drives have Linux and OS-X, one of the 1TB drives has Windoze, the other runs a base Linux system with virtualization software, VMware and Virtualbox that allows for running virtual machines inside a physical machine. The virtual machines I have at the moment cover most operating systems, I can run DOS, Windows OS-X, Mac system 8, Free BSD and Solaris. My need (maybe nerd!) is a bit more than most would need but it is an interesting way to compare multiple OS's...

Ah...OK...thanks for that...erm...got it now. :up::huh::blink:

PS Minor hijack, sorry. I bought an external hard drive today as my laptop is making funny crunching noises when it starts up and none of its content (pics, music, etc) is backed up. Anyway the backup has been running for 4.5 hrs now and only 41% has been backed up. Does this seem like a long time? :dunno:

Ah...OK...thanks for that...erm...got it now. :up::huh::blink:

PS Minor hijack, sorry. I bought an external hard drive today as my laptop is making funny crunching noises when it starts up and none of its content (pics, music, etc) is backed up. Anyway the backup has been running for 4.5 hrs now and only 41% has been backed up. Does this seem like a long time? :dunno:

If it's a terabyte of data it's ok. If it's just 50 GB you might have a problem. Also it depends on how old your laptop is (data transfer rate).

An external USB drive is a great tool for almost everyone but like many things I would take what the manufacturer states with at least a small pinch of salt. In almost all cases I would take an external hard disk, wipe whatever comes on it when you buy it and ignore any CD/DVD you got with it. Connect it to your machine and let it be recognised. Then format the drive as per your computer, Win7=NTFS, other systems have their own formats, what's OSX, HDA?

Then just use it as another drive and copy what you want onto it. This way you can move it between machines and you have minimal risk if it turns out the backup software will not work on some future hardware, or whatever.

Archived