Are Any Of These Win 7 Ultimate Packages Worhwhile?

gawguy

I'm in a bind and I need a Win 7 Ultimate to sort it out.

On eBay for $90: "BRAND NEW WINDOWS 7 Ultimate Full Version Installation Disc32/64 bit- SEALED" They look like boxed originals. Offered for sale by eBay Top-Rated Seller. Is this a full version with SP1? What happens if I install on two computers? Will MS not activate the second one?

Someone offering something on craigslist for $20 - Win 7 Ultimate RTM which he claims to have been using for years. Will MS provide updates for this?

Maybe I can sort my problem with this from eBay: "Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Restore Recovery Repair Fix PC Laptop Boot CD DVD" for $10. Do you hink that might work?

I'm in USA now, but going back TLand in a couple of months? Can I pick up something good at TukCom in Pattaya?

Thank you.

Gaw Guy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bollox

I have Been running my "Pantip 100 Baht Windows Ultimate" for about 14 months now and never had a problem

Sort of depends, kinda.

Chances are your 100 baht Pantip version comes with a loader to bypass registration and fake the genuine checks. There is a Windows update that will remove that but if you don't download that specific update it still seems to work okay, and interesting that they can obviously reset the loader but choose not to force the issue.

The eBay disks might be OEM with a serial number and truthfully that's all you need. If you download a torrent version or use a Pantip copy and rather than bypass activation with a loader just use a real serial number then it will work just the same. You don't actually need the original disk.

There are some serial numbers that have been published resulting in hundreds of attempted activations and these usually get shut down pretty quick.

Previously with XP I had 6 machines all running and activated with the same serial number with no problems. On a re-install of one machine though it complained about the number being in use so I had to go to another number.

For general OS mucking about these days it's fairly easy to set up a multi boot environment or run a Linux distro with something like virtual box and then have separate virtual machines for the different OS's.

For general OS mucking about these days it's fairly easy to set up a multi boot environment or run a Linux distro with something like virtual box and then have separate virtual machines for the different OS's.

Or just run OSX on a MAC :evilpumpkin:

Win 7 is in Bootcamp and I cannot remember the last time I used it.

Windows 8 will come out officially on Oct. 26. This seems to be a major upgrade. So if you don't need to install a new OS urgently I would advice to wait.

PS: Seeing your troubles with PCs I would recommend to switch to Mac long term. In combination with a Time Capsule Macs offer currently to most easy to use soft- and hardware combination for backing up and restoring data on the market. And its very failsafe for the non-geeky user.

In English please?! :confused::dunno:

That's what afternoon drinking does to me :(

The whole 'which OS is best' really seems to be the ultimate dead horse these days. Windows has a massive installed user base and most companies writing bespoke software to run company specific applications do so with windoze. Just about any proprietary remote control monitoring system that is not, for one reason or another, snmp is written to run under windoze. Anybody with any sort of proprietary hardware that needs remote access has typically three ways to provide it, TELNET, a web browser page and a bespoke product or company specific application. The application 9 times out or 10 is Windoze. I can recall a single piece of telecom hardware that has an application for OS-X. Larger database applications often run on UNIX. Think telephone exchanges, message switching and despatch systems are a couple of examples. The fault tolerance and redundancy tend to be the key drivers for such systems. A lot of embedded systems that were UNIX a few years ago have migrated to Windows, think small touchscreen panels and larger display systems like passenger information at airports. Not too many OS-X embedded products and this is truly a massive market. Likely the next generation of in-car entertainment hardware will run an embedded OS rather than some hard coded proprietary system, LINUX is the likely choice given the cost impact for such a price conscious market.

On the other side, and perhaps where most people tend to focus, rightly enough, the single user desktop and mobile market will remain quite a breeding ground for new and different forks of what we are already used to. The market for such operating systems seems very rich right now, Windoze seems to score by virtue of it's installed base and history, both the good and the bad, people migrate to the next version because they know it, warts n all. Windows 8 will likely do well if people want the tablet functionality it adds, under that it 'looks' very much like 7. OS-X really should go from strength to strength, in terms of look and feel I think it is hard to beat, more than that for people who want to just use the tool it really could not be easier. In a way I think they have missed a trick in not opening up the hardware dependency, the argument about maintaining quality seems bogus and spurious today, and easy enough to add disclaimers. It is what it is though and their official hardware is stunningly nice and probably worth what it costs for those who will pay it. The useability is way up there and it really only falls down when you give it to a geek who needs/wants to do weird stuff, like write specific bits to a serial port, program PIC micro controllers, or interface with non mass market hardware. For anybody new to computers who just wants it to work and do mainstream stuff the somewhat controlled environment is almost ideal I think. Linux is another story in my mind, UNIX based, as is OS-X of course but with a different focus. It does well as a back end system running mail and web servers but married to X, the pretty windows add-on, and then layered with a topping of KDE or GNOME in various flavours it suggests itself to be another desktop capable OS. Long marred by a need to resort to arcane command line 'fixes' it is getting better. I just did a Mint 13 install that had everything I needed for a basic system right at install including office apps, web browser mail and graphics. A nice windows application allowed me to add a torrent application, Skype and several other programs without ever complaining that I needed to 'sudo apt-get install' at any time. It is pretty much at a point where it can be taken seriously provided you can be sure to NEVER need the command line. I'd be happy to have my 80 year old mother install it but it's a non starter if it would ever need more than a point and click to fix something. Then it's back to OS-X for it's robustness or Windoze for the massive support network, everyone and their dog has a son or nephew who can fix a Windoze machine.

Well I guess this probably has taken things rather off topic and certainly didn't answer MM's question, yet. In summary though I think all current OS's have their strengths and weaknesses, there's no one all round winner given the applications computers are used for today and the types of user.

Finally, (finally ?) getting to the MM's demand for a more lucid explanation to my last post. I find I need to support a number of different systems and I quite enjoy tinkering with the bit and pieces of both hardware and software so I use a computer that is perhaps not so normal. The machine is Intel based and has 4 hard disks, 2 of 500GB and 2 of 1TB. Each drive is bootable though with a different OS, the 2 500GB drives have Linux and OS-X, one of the 1TB drives has Windoze, the other runs a base Linux system with virtualization software, VMware and Virtualbox that allows for running virtual machines inside a physical machine. The virtual machines I have at the moment cover most operating systems, I can run DOS, Windows OS-X, Mac system 8, Free BSD and Solaris. My need (maybe nerd!) is a bit more than most would need but it is an interesting way to compare multiple OS's.

If you have the space on a hard disk and can run Windows or OS-X or Linux then you can run a virtualization program and set up installations of other operating systems to see what you like. It's not (completely) trivial but certainly nothing beyond even a C class geek. If you have a system with a big enough hard drive partitioned to allow you to install multiple operating systems and a reasonably up to date motherboard that allows boot device selection at start up you can choose your OS every time you start it up.

Did I make it clearer, oh heck knows, 10pm here in Bangkok now and a big pile of green tins on the floor :)

Archived