Spam Threads

khunsanuk

Hi,

Sorry about the occassional spam thread getting through. The board is getting flooded with spam accounts - which is the reason I had to turn admin approval of new accounts on again. I'm getting as many as 50-60 of these accounts registering a day and while most are very easily spot, some could be legit and I thus have to approve those. When it later turns out they were not legit you get shit like that post in Russian last night.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know what is going on and to ask you to please just ignore them. I'll delete any such threads - and accounts - as soon as I spot them.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Sorry about the occassional spam thread getting through. The board is getting flooded with spam accounts - which is the reason I had to turn admin approval of new accounts on again. I'm getting as many as 50-60 of these accounts registering a day and while most are very easily spot, some could be legit and I thus have to approve those. When it later turns out they were not legit you get shit like that post in Russian last night.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know what is going on and to ask you to please just ignore them. I'll delete any such threads - and accounts - as soon as I spot them.

Sanuk!

Most of the registrations will likely be automated.

It's SEO spammers grabbing forum and profile links by hitting forums using xrumer and scrapebox. Even captchas wont stop them because they use a service like deathbycaptha.eu which uses an API to push the image to an indian who completes it for a tiny fraction of a cent. So changing the captcha's around wont help.

Best advice is change the registration form field names and the submit button name as the xrumer templates are setup to recognise a certain format and if you alter that it wont be able to read the form....and presto...no submissions for a while, until they change the template again.

I should also point out...for GET forms you dont even need to complete the form you just push data direct to the server...for instance

www.test.com?userid=12&password=test

How do I know all of this??? Guess what industry im in :)

Hi,

"Most of the registrations will likely be automated."

No doubt.

I actually added a simple Q&A field to the registration as well, but that didn't really stop them either.

I guess I could change the fieldnames every couple of weeks, but it would be more work than what I do now, manually approve / deny every registration. It is a bit of a pain, but doesn't take that much time; maybe 2-3 minutes per day.

Sanuk!

Just thinking here (nothing to do) can you just direct all new accounts to a new Thread page and let us vote on Spam or Not Spam.

It'll increase our readership, give us something to do, good for decision making and maybe take the pressure off you.

If some turn out to be Spam then you can delete them in bulk, say every week.

Turn it into a game us versus the spammers with you being the referee.

Hi,

While that probably is possible, it would require a significant amount of coding :)

We're talking days - possibly weeks - here.

Sanuk!

Not worth it.

Keep going the way you're going.

If genuine people have to wait a few days (or weeks) to join then thats ok.

Good luck.

KS, given the hits the board must get for certain older posts, I'm surprised you've kept the spammers at bay this long - superb effort, IMO. We've all seen nightlife-centric boards and blogs which have been hammered by these lowlife scum. Perhaps Stickman did us all a favor by insisting that the board was 'defunct' .... :clown:

Archived