Briton Shot Dead On Koh Phangan

chelseafan

A British national has been killed in Thailand on New Year's Eve, the Foreign Office has said.

Stephen Ashton, 22 was hit by a stray bullet during a fight at a party in a bar on Koh Phangan, say local reports.

According to the Bangkok Post, the tourist was shot in the upper body in the early hours and taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

"We are aware of the death of a British national in Thailand on New Year's Eve," said a Foreign Office spokesman.

"We are providing consular assistance to the family," he added.

The Foreign Office later confirmed the dead man's name.

Police investigating the incident later arrested a Thai man, according to the Post.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20883483

British man killed in countdown party

SURAT THANI - A 23-year-old British tourist was killed by a stray bullet during a fight involving a group of Thai men in a bar at Koh Phangan's Haad Rin Beach early in the morning of New Year's day.

Stephen Ashton was with a group of friends and three hundred other tourists in the 2013 countdown party at a pub and restaurant named Zoom Bar when he was shot by a home-made gun shortly after 4am, Pol Col Kittakarn Kramomthong, chief of Koh Phangan station said.

According to witnesses who spokes to police investigators, two groups of Thai customers numbering between five and seven got into an argument which escalated into a fistfight in the crowded bar. One of the groups ran out of the bar and one man turned and fired a shot back into the bar, causing panic and chaos.

The bullet hit Ashton in the torso, seriously injuring him. He was sent to Ban Don International Hospital and was later pronounded dead.

Ashton was visiting the island with four or five friends and had stayed at Pink Bungalow on Haad Rin.

Police launched a search for a 26-year-old man identified as Ekkapan Kaewkla, or Lae Kaewkla.

About noon, a team of police led by Pol Col Kittakarn searched for the suspect who was thought to have gone into hiding on the mountain and arrested him in tambon Ban Tai. Mr Ekkapan was found with a home-made gun believed to have been used in the shooting.

Mr Ekkapan denied he fired the shot that killed Ashton but admitted he had fought with another group of men when partying at Zoom Bar.

Pol Col Kittakarn said police had several witnesses and enough evidence to prosecute the suspect. Royal Thai Police adviser, Pol Gen Rachata Yensuang, Pol Lt Gen Kittisan Dejsoonthornwat, the Provincial Police Region 8 deputy commissioner, and Surat Thani provincial police chief Kiattipong Khaosum-ang will interrogate the suspect at Khao Phangan station at noon on Wednesday, he added.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/328760/british-tourist-killed-at-phangan-bar

Thais don't, but Chinese and Vietnamese do. A Thai-Chinese reporter? In Vietnam one's birth is figured from 1 January, regardless of the actual date. Also, an infant is considered 1 at birth - a bit confused on the length of pregnancy? Our interpreter, SSG Nguyen Thanh Tu, used to joke about it. He said if a child is born on 31 December, the child becomes 2 years old on the next day! :p

Thais do do this. All my wife's family use the same thinking stating that at birth you are in your first year, hence the 1. Koreans count from some bizarre time like the end of the first 3 months of pregnancy, but that's just Koreans, I think.

Thais do do this. All my wife's family use the same thinking stating that at birth you are in your first year, hence the 1. Koreans count from some bizarre time like the end of the first 3 months of pregnancy, but that's just Koreans, I think.

Issan? I never encountered it in the North or Bangkok. :hmmm:

Issan? I never encountered it in the North or Bangkok. :hmmm:

Definitely not just an Issan thing, my partner is from Northern Thailand and often uses the same calculation especially with me teasing me that I will be 50 in 2 months time, fux off I will be 49 :p

Archived