Top Ten Countries For Expats

JaiRai

Interesting.

http://news.yahoo.co...diacontentstory

"Looking to start a new life abroad and don’t know where to start? According to a new survey of expats around the world, the best place for reinventing yourself is Thailand.

In the sixth edition of HSBC’s Expat Explorer Survey, more than 7,000 expats ranked Thailand the top destination when it comes to quality of life as a foreigner.

In fact, five out of the top 10 destinations can be found in Asia, making the continent the most hospitable region in the world in which to relocate. Other Asian countries included Singapore, Taiwan, China and India.

Compared to the global average of 57 percent, 76 percent of expats living in Thailand said it was easy to make friends in their new home.

Expats living in Thailand also enjoy the best social life (59 percent) compared to foreigners in other countries.

Following Thailand, 44 percent of foreigners living in China said they have active social lives. That figure drops to 37 percent among expats in India, 36 percent in Taiwan and 29 percent in Singapore. The global average was 26 percent."

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real conversation with a guy claiming to be a VN vet:

Me: Were you Army or Marine?

"Vet": Army.

Me: What was your MOS?

"Vet": Huh?

Me: Your MOS! (Military Occupation Specialty)

"Vet": [blank stare]

Me: What did you do in the Army?

"Vet": I was a tanker. [i never heard that term used in the U.S. Army.]

Me: What unit?

Me: What ... division?

Me: Who ... did ... you ... fight ... with?

"Vet": I fought with the North Vietnamese.

He then proceeded to tell me he had been wounded by shrapnel.

Me: Where were you wounded?

"Vet": On my arm.

I didn't see a single mark on his arms. :(

A buddy told me about running into a guy claiming to be a Marine Corps vet. He asked the "Marine" where he trained, meaning Parris Island or Camp Pendleton. The guy replied he went to boot camp at Fort Benning. Fort Benning is the Army's infantry training center! :banghead:

I just watched 'Zero Dark Thirty' again, and speaking as one who escaped having to serve in any military, I have the greatest respect for any one who has, right or wrong, doing the job engenders respect.

I don't understand people who invent 'history' for themselves, such a sad way to spend one's time.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind being seen as a 007 James Bond, preferably Sean Connery.

I know enough about the mythology of the Australian Army in SVN - from the Silver City to Long Tan yada yada - and I spent enough time in the Green Machine to know most of the slang, but why the hell would I bother ? For starters, anyone with even a nodding understanding of the timelines would look at me and say 'OK, so you joined the Army at 8 years of age ?'.

One of the realities of most of the real Vietnam Vets in Oz is that very few of them want to talk about it with someone who wasn't there - why the hell would that change simply because you found yourself parked on a barstool in Thailand ?

Archived