Cent, Thalenoi, everybody,and the thread '6 months with a BG'

Goodthaigirl

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can voice unpleasent truths as well. It's not a black and white thing. But we do it in a different way, more tactful ( I think it's the word.).

--------------------------------

he just said that in the West, it happens more often, because we are raised to voice our opinions at an early age. Not so much raised as taught by someone, but the strong accent on individuality is part of our cultural make-up. One ex.: most farang teachers I know in LOS told me that it is very hard to get the thai students to ask questions, participate vocally, and engage/adress the teacher, and they have to work at it to make a class more lively. In the west, you'd have to put us in a boarding house ruled by stern and threatening teachers to end up with this kind of obedient class. i doubt actually any (teacher/school) exist anymore of that type. And more and more, classrooms are set up to encourage full participation of all children.

bibblies: >Not all of us need our egos to be cossetted. And from every book I've read about Thais and everything I've gleaned over 8 years, I think it's extremely unlikely that you're more eager to seek the truth than the farangs!

GTG: Is it a racist comment?

Two answers. A bullshit answer is, it's just a comment.

A more serious answer would involve pointing out that if we allow that differences in cultures do exist (and it would have be a rather obtuse observer not to notice), then we have to allow that there are things specific to the different cultures, things we can identify and which account for general differences in how people behave, interact, resolve conflict, etc. It has been documented repeatedly, and experienced by many visitors to Thailand, that in Thai culture it is more important to preserve an appearance of harmony than to speak bluntly and truthfully. This is in direct contrast to the corresponding values, attitudes, and behaviors that can be observed in Western countries.

Now that's a general statement. Considering that you stated elsewhere that your time overseas has not affected your attitudes and you did not adopt any Western ones, it is quite logical to assume that you too would be more interested in preserving face that in seeking truth.

My conclusion would be that bibblies' comment not only was not racist, but was rather perspicacious. Perhaps your defensive attitude reveals he struck too close to home?

GTG: We can voice unpleasent truths as well. It's not a black and white thing. But we do it in a different way, more tactful ( I think it's the word.).

Tactful is a word, but please, excuse me if I find it rather humorous when you use to describe yourself.

Archived