Cent, Thalenoi, everybody,and the thread '6 months with a BG'

Goodthaigirl

Madmax,

>Take for example the fact that in Isaan it seems rather common for a young Thai male to marry (whatever that means) a girl, have a baby or two, and then kick her out and find another girl. With no obligations to his ex or to the children he fathered. This phenomenon alone is responsible for creating a circumstance that brings perhaps 80% of the bar-girls to the BKK/PTY circuit.

I am convinced the explanation lies in the culture, but I don't understand it well enough to be able to paint the whole picture.

First of all, where did you get your stats? Guestimation from your experience?

Culture? I would say yes in that Thais raise boys and girls differently. Girls seems to be more responsible to the family more than boys.

I don't want to get in to details on this. Do some search and you'll find some relevant article on that.

GTG

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<<You misunderstand me. I don't have a anything personal towards TTM or Thalenoi, or anyone on this board.

<<Why do peple think I have that when I argue with anyone on this board on their posts/messages?

<<Strange !

GTG,

As informed before, your opinion is valued here on this board, just be a bit more careful as to how you express it, as sometimes it looks like personnal attacks......

Cheers !

MM: ". . . young Thai male to marry a girl, have a baby or two, and then kick her out and find another girl. This phenomenon alone is responsible for creating a circumstance that brings perhaps 80% of the bar-girls to the BKK/PTY circuit."

GTG: "First of all, where did you get your stats? Guestimation from your experience?"

The stats are overwhelmingly supported by empirical evidence as experienced by this researcher. Additional data is being collected.

Madmax,

>With one very strong reservation--she studied overseas and that would leave a very strong cultural mark on her thinking. Especially her feminist slant I'd say is much more a result of foreign influences than her Thainess.

I have no problem with that, but I would be very cautious interpreting her attitudes as being quintessentially Thai. For example, in another thread she claimed that she would tell her parents to "fuck off." While I don't think she'd actually do that, the fact that the thought occured to her and that she verbalized it shows how much foreign influence GTG has had. <

FYI, I'd had 'the idea' before I went overseas. I believe women and men should be given equal opportunity, esp. education. If I thought my BA was enough for a Thai female I wouldn't have further my study, right? It's not about Thainess as it is about career choice. Thai females has to eat(through having a job), right? laugh.gif

GTG

Which is why i wrote "seemed". I followed your argument with the guys from afar, and all i can say is that words are stronger written than spoken, so when someone thinks you are pushing too hard on a point, it may be important to depersonnalize the discussion and get back to the topic without doing too much finger-pointing at people about their Gfs, their wives, or ex-wives. I definitely think it is possible to tell one's story to illustrate a point and an opinion and expect others not to attack the story teller, but address the topic they are trying to bring up.

GTG: "If I thought my BA was enough for a Thai female I wouldn't have further my study, right? It's not about Thainess as it is about career choice."

I didn't say (or imply) your getting an MA has anything to do with Thainess. What I said was that having spent time overseas influenced your opinions and therefore they are probably not representative of Thai middle class opinion. (assuming that most middle class Thais haven't lived overseas).

But just to illustrate what I mean, your sentence "If I thought my BA was enough for a Thai female I wouldn't have further my study, right?" is more a reflection of Western feminism than (in my limited experience at least) representative of a typical Thai middle class.

Btw, I have an MA as well, though I'd never frame it as "I thought a BA is not enough for an American male." There were reasons why I wanted to get an MA and they had nothing to do with being male, or being American and everything to do with my interests and career.

GTG: "Thai females has to eat(through having a job), right?"

Right to the former, wrong to the latter. Many females, Thai or not, find a way to eat without having a job. Right?

MadMax,

>>GTG: "Thai females has to eat(through having a job), right?"

>Right to the former, wrong to the latter. Many females, Thai or not, find a way to eat without having a job. Right?

It's derived from a Thai expression translated to English. So, it might not do the job well. May parents often say 'people have to work to have something to eat'. ¤¹àÃÒµéÔç·Ó§Ò¹¨Ö§¨ÃÃÕ¢éÒÇ¡Ô¹

But it shows something from your answer. You view that being a 'housewife' is not a job- just a wife, right? It all depends how you define the word 'job'. Does it provide you with immediate financial gain? I would say being a housewife is also a fulltime job. I'd keep this discussion short. But hope you get my point.

GTG

pattaya127

>... and all i can say is that words are stronger written than spoken,

I think so.

>so when someone thinks you are pushing too hard on a point, it may be important to depersonnalize the discussion and get back to the topic without doing too much finger-pointing at people about their Gfs, their wives, or ex-wives. I definitely think it is possible to tell one's story to illustrate a point and an opinion and expect others not to attack the story teller, but address the topic they are trying to bring up.

To use personal experience to illustrate a point? How can we know the point is valid if we don't ask for clarifications eg, story teller motives, more background,etc.

One of the board members PMed me and say something that I think is so true. He said, "........the biggest barrier between you and them is truth ! You are looking for the truth and they ( some , not all ) are looking for support , agreement , affirmation , nurturing etc. etc. etc. "

GTG

>>>One of the board members PMed me and say something that I think is so true. He said, "........the biggest barrier between you and them is truth ! You are looking for the truth and they ( some , not all ) are looking for support , agreement , affirmation , nurturing etc. etc. etc. " <<<

So you are looking for the truth while we are merely looking to distort the truth to fit our twisted theories? How presumptuous! I guess if you believe that it says more about you than about "us" . Like if you know who "we" are.

Cheers!

Archived