China's 'rent-A-Foreigner' Industry Is Booming

cavanami

Just when you think you have seen and heard it all...

China's 'Rent-a-Foreigner' industry is booming

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinas-rent-foreigner-industry-booming-211600882.html

These two foreigners were hired by a specialty firm in China to pose as British guards outside of an empty development to make it look more "international."

Foreigners are being hired to pose as celebrities by Chinese real estate developers to help agents sell property in "ghost towns" by making them appear more animated and worldly, according to a new mini-documentary released by the New York Times...

In other news, Thailand's "rent-a-national" industry continues at its usual grisly pace...

I have a friend who did the Foreign Suit thing around Guangzhou and Zhuhai a bit a few years back - completely ridiculous, Chinese company wanting to give the impression of foreign backers would pay white guys to put on a suit and attend meetings entirely in Chinese, no translation, just sit and be foreign and somehow a positive impression will be made... At least when I sit and be foreign in Thailand, I always pick up the tab at the end to try to be useful....

Hi,

"I've been in more than a few of those meetings, for real though."

Yep, same here. Sometimes even with express instructions not to say anything :)

Sanuk!

Exactly the same thing happens in Vietnam but the meetings usually degenerate into a shouting match within an hour.