Tat Reports Candlelight Vigil Tourism Up 8000% Since Bomb

Coss

BANGKOK — Amidst dire economic news exacerbated by the recent bomb attacks in the capital city, the Tourism Authority of Thailand today reported some positive news, declaring a huge spike in candlelight-vigil-based tourist arrivals.

“Since the dreadful events of Monday, the country has seen a major upturn in arrivals of international visitors who are seeking vigil-type recreation,†said TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasrani.

vigil-300x210.jpg

A bright spot in the economy as mourners spend on local goods and attractions.

Pensuda pointed out that after the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, that country enjoyed a 4000% upturn in candlelight-vigil-based revenue in the following year.

“Thailand can’t afford not to get in on this lucrative industry,†she said.

link

There's the giveaway for you: there are no English language reporters capable of translating a Thai statement into that English, and no TAT official who'd use that formulation. Must be fake.

I do not find it amusing, since it is making fun of the deaths of innocent people. I have a fairly sick sense of humour, but not this sick. This is university frat boy humour.

I see your point, but there's a line between making light of the deaths, and of the response. Like the Boston Marathon bombing - sure, I feel sorry for the people that were killed and injured, and their families, it must have been very difficult. But the whole "Boston Strong" bullshit, like the city had somehow collectively survived cancer while climbing Mt. Everest together, a grand pat-on-the-back pity circle jerk for the next year or so? Fuckin' ridiculous.

Ah, feck it. Truth is, i'd make fun of virtually anything, as long as I got a laugh. Because when we can't make fun of candlelight vigils, the terrorists have already won... and if you can't make fun out of senseless death of innocence, what CAN you make fun of?!

YimSiam

• Like 1