Are Backpackers All C*nts?

Fiery Jack

Are Backpackers All C*nts?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are Backpackers All C*nts?

• Yes.
    • No, but the majority of them are.
    • No, but a minority of them are, giving the rest a bad name.
    • No, they're all okay with me, mate.

""God no, you don't come to Vang Vieng for the culture, like temples and stuff," laughs a 19-year-old Australian called Louise, who is dancing to a Flo Rida anthem with a beer bottle in each hand at one of the many riverside bars. "You come here to get wasted."

Couldn't we also say of the majority of this board,

"God no, you don't come to bangkok for the culture, like temples and stuff:, laughs a 49-year-old Australian called Jimmie BLonde, who is dancing to a AC/DC anthem with a young whore in each hand at one of the many soi cowboy bars. "You come here to get fucked"

Implying that the backpackers are somehow delinquent, or "bad" because they are following their own hedonism, is exactly what majority of punters here do.

Quite, but:

a/. The point that most of us make, is that the Backpackers don't confine their hedonism to relatively private venues, they impinge on the space and enjoyment of other people, specifically "One particularly dirty f**cker decided he could sit on the bar next to us, his unwashed feet, on the bar, within inches of our drinks." this true, not fiction and amongst other events has demonstrated to me that some, though not all, backpackers, are offensive.

b/. The quote about '19-year-old Australian called Louise' comes not from a member of this board, but from The Guardian newspaper http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/apr/07/vang-vieng-laos-party-town

You can be respectfully hedonistic, surely? Do what the fuck you like, as long as you don't hurt anyone? If I'm honest, I hope I'm like that, at least these days. :hug:

I offended a Thai bloke once in Bangkok, many years ago, by behaving disrespectfully in his presence. I was drunk, but that was no excuse. I felt so terrible about it that I went back the next day and apologized sincerely and gave him a gift. And the next day. And six months later, the next time I was in LOS. And many times after that. And we became friends, and he says he forgives me. Whether he does or not, I know what I did was not right, and I'll continue to try never to do anything similar. :angel:

Perhaps a lot of backpackers will look back one day on their obnoxious behavior and regret it. Some of them might even apologize, learn from the experience, like I did. But that doesn't excuse their twattish antics, just as my remorse did not excuse mine. :nono:

(In my defence, I immediately apologised for my shenanigans when the Thai dude blew his whistle. Went back thereafter to show I was sincere. I wonder if the serially-misbehaving backpackers would immediately apologise for the errors of their ways if confronted in public? Case by case, but I somehow doubt it.)

jack :help:

(SPOILER ALERT! Before any of you pedantic clowns pipe up: Fiery Jack's a persona. I resembled him a long time ago, but I don't so much now. In many ways, I wish I did; in some ways, I'm glad I don't. :applause:)

• Like 1

I'm a great fan of thinning the gene pool, when I see this videos of young men knackering themselves, one leg either side of a handrail, I laugh a lot and sincerely hope they'll not be able to breed.

Back in the day, young 'uns, who didn't respect their elders, or were offensive, or taunted the sabre tooth tiger, removed themselves from the gene pool.

This is why base jumping doesn't seem to be an inheritable trait.

I personally have "Hands On" experience with backpackers / gap year brats, what the fuck is a gap year, fark I left School on a Friday and started at local factory the following Monday, no time to lardy dardy around the world like todays spoilt brats.

I am sure that my sisters conspired to send both of there youngest daughters to me over the years, Oh your Uncle lives in Thailand why not look, here is the funny but I am also their godfather FFS sisters send their youngest daughters to see me in Thailand believing I could be a calming influence on them, as if religion has any influence on my life, the cheeky bitches call me "The Godfather" to my face and introduce me to acquaintances as such.

Long story short, the guys they came to Thailand with way back then are not their respective partners today, sort of "Godfather what does one think?" Fucking knob loose him, maybe I am a good godfather, weird out of my 5 nieces the 2 whom have spent time with me in SE Asia now have the best careers, of course they have, a couple of months with me and they learned how to not take shit and how to tell assholes to fuck off.

Lessons are given free

• Like 1

1 – The American Backpacker

americanbackpackers.jpg

You will hear this backpacker immediately upon entering the hostel. Loud, enthusiastic and friendly, the American Backpacker either travels in large groups of young college girls or guys, or, if a little bit older, travels hans solo. The delightful college girl American Backpacker wears pajamas during the day and tight bright clothing at night, and is never without numerous layers of make up and hairspray, and the college boy American Backpacker has usually found their way to Central or South America on a cheap flight from Miami and are ready for a week of drinking and partying.

In contrast, the older single American Backpackers are usually travel bloggers, photographers, or hippies that are trying to find the deeper meaning in their travel experiences. All American backpackers give themselves massive kudos for being one of the 20-30% of American citizens that own passports and like to brag about anything remotely ‘foreign’ they have done on their travels. Depending on the type, great for partying the night away or discussing the meaning of life.

2 – The European Backpacker

Usually travels in pairs, stays in the private rooms, and spends much of the time speaking to only each other in their native language. The European Backpacker is ridiculously good looking but very quiet and reserved, until copious amounts of red wine are consumed.

Usually has way more money than the rest of the hostel combined and can tell smug stories of expensive trips and activities which others could only dream of. Great for when you want to pretend you are not a grimy backpacker and go to a nice restaurant or bar for once.

3 – The Canadian Backpacker

canadianbackpacker.jpg

Can spot these a mile away due to the prevalence of Canadian flags sewn on to their backpack and the ‘ey’ at the end of every sentence (“Canada, eyâ€).

Always friendly and impeccably polite (unless you mistake them for their louder cousin, American backpacker). Often stoned. If you hit them, they will apologize. Great for switching rooms to get away from the snorer.

4 – The Israeli Backpacker

The Israeli backpacker tends to travel in large packs after doing their time in the army. Easy to find as they will be the ones haggling at every spot. Friendly and always speak impeccable English, but are slightly scary and a little smelly. Great for when you want the best deal at the local kebab shop.

5 – The Asian Backpacker

Very rare breed of backpacker. Quiet and courteous (until they have a beer), the Asian Backpacker usually travels in small packs with large cameras and a multitude of electrical equipment in a Hello Kitty backpack. Great for when you need that s150 charger you left at home.

6 – The English Backpacker

englishbackpackers.jpg

The English Backpacker travels in a massive group with other suntanned/burnt/fake-tan orange English Backpackers. Friendly but often spends time whinging on a hostel balcony.

Usually has enough money to find English booze and fried food thanks to the pound. Usually on a Gap Year. Always up for hostel drinking games, and able to drink nearly as much as the Australian Backpacker (and often goes home with one). Great for having a laugh at the pub.

7 – The South African Backpacker

Another rare breed. Usually men. Very arrogant and most have the crazy eyes, but they come complete with a divine accent and amazing abs. Can handle a shotgun. Great for when you need a handyman to fix the hostel bunk, someone to protect you in a dangerous part of town, or when you have a hankering for a backpacker fling.

8 – The Australian Backpacker

drinkingbackpackers.jpg

Friendly, adventurous and laid back, but can be annoyingly loud and is the centre of every party once drunk. Always the one that does the stupid dares. Unquestionably the best type.

Can be found traveling in packs, pairs or alone, but if alone will often have run into a cousin/friend/acquaintance at every stop, however remote (“maaaaate, didn’t realise you were over here in the middle of the amazon jungle. lets go for a drink.â€).

Great for when you want to start drinking at 9am and have a skinny dip in a public fountain.

9 – The New Zealand Backpacker

Often confused with its Australian cousin; can be distinguished by their questionable fashion sense and hilarious pronunciation of the phrases “fish and chips†and “six, pleaseâ€. Very friendly but usually a little reserved in large groups. Well experienced in camping and ‘tramping’ (hiking) and is at home in cold and mud and snow.

Extremely loose on the booze and has the ability to do even crazier things than the Australian Backpacker when provoked, especially if from Dunedin. Great for a laugh when ordering six beers, or for borrowing clothes when the weather is chilly.

10 – The Irish Backpacker

irishbackpacker.jpg

Not to be confused with the English Backpacker, the Irish Backpacker is usually a little older and travels in pairs or by themselves. Like a homing pigeon, this gem of a backpacker always manages to find the best deals on a pint at any time of the day and is friendly and inclusive of all other travelers.

Loses the ability to speak English after a few alcoholic beverages but good at miming their usually hilarious drinking stories. Great for a friendly face if traveling alone.