Assange Again

Coss

On this "the United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary Detention released a report which found that Julian Assange, one-time leader of Wikileaks and general enemy of government secrecy, has been unlawfully detained "

Where's the logic? Who pays the members of the UN Working Group?

1st he's not been detained, he will get detained if he leaves the Embassy, but until then, he's using it as a refuge, he's hiding inside. He's avoiding detention. Ergo, not detained. He can leave the Embassy and walk about the streets at any time. Ergo, not detained. How far he'll get is another matter, if the cops are negligent he might not get detained at all.

As someone else said, 'If there is anyone who'll push and shove to get to the front of the queue to get crucified, it's Julian.' So how's that working out for you, Julian?

Unlike Snowden, who was the one responsible for leaking the info he had access to, Assange merely published the efforts of others and recklessly so (Chelsea nee Bradley Manning).

Quite a good article on Assange and his Jesus complex here: http://www.extremete...ge-is-no-victim

Another one

Does the UN not realise that Julian Assange has detained himself?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/02/does-the-un-not-realise-that-julian-assange-has-detained-himself/

Even by the high standards of the UN, its report on Julian Assange is ridiculous bordering on comic. The BBC is reporting that the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention will find that he has been ‘unlawfully detained’. This is patently absurd as the only person detaining Assange is Assange himself. He is free to leave the Ecuadorian embassy at any time.

Now, if he did so, he would be arrested. But staying in hiding to avoid arrest is completely different from being detained by the state. But the UN panel seems to have missed this.

asl.jpg

I am guessing you are not a fan of Assange. Interestingly it appears none of these "journalists" have ever met him so this is more opinion than anything else. The question over his detention is a tricky one and the British Government will need to be very careful of there next move if he steps out of the Ecuadorian Embassy. You cannot pick and choose which decisions of the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention you are going to respect or dismiss as a government.

I am guessing you are not a fan of Assange. Interestingly it appears none of these "journalists" have ever met him so this is more opinion than anything else. The question over his detention is a tricky one and the British Government will need to be very careful of there next move if he steps out of the Ecuadorian Embassy. You cannot pick and choose which decisions of the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention you are going to respect or dismiss as a government.

Quite right, I am not a fan. What Wikileaks did, is as PTBM says 'fantastic, excellent, wonderful'. That's not in dispute. I think more transparency is better.

But the point of the OPs is that he is not detained, he is in fear of being detained but not actually detained. So the UN panel is wrong. If they had said, enforced exile, governmental harassment, that would be fine. But FFS he is not detained. If he is detained, who is detaining him?

Personall;y, he's a bit of a dick, what he did though, fantastic, excellent, wonderful

I agree, I'm not dissing the actions of Wikipedia. I just think that Assange is execrable.

I guess his unknown fate is what is detaining him. Not sure I would want to be in his shoes. As my friend (a journo who has spent more time with him than anyone else) said " he is not afraid of facing the allegations in Sweeden but being then handed over to the US under their extradition treaty.