Thai police arrest 14-year-old suspected gunman after four killed in Bangkok mall shooting

bust

Thai police say they have arrested a 14-year-old boy after four people were killed and at least three others wounded in a shooting at the Siam Paragon luxury shopping mall in Bangkok.

Emergency services shared an image of a police officer apprehending and handcuffing a person laying face down on the floor.

The Central Investigation Bureau had earlier posted a grainy image on its Facebook page of a person they said was the gunman, dressed in khaki cargo pants and a baseball cap.

Unverified videos on social media showed scenes of chaos, with people, including children, running out of the doors of the mall while security guards ushered them out.

A crowd of people, mostly women - including one carrying a child - leaving a shopping centre in a hurried rush

People flee the Siam Paragon shopping mall in Bangkok on Tuesday.(AFP: Lillian Suwanrumpha)

One of the videos showed people taking cover in a darkened room inside a restaurant, while live television showed long queues of traffic outside the mall in torrential rain.

Gun violence is not uncommon in Thailand. An ex-police officer killed more than 20 children in a nursery last year during a gun-and-knife attack, while in 2020 a soldier shot and killed at least 29 people and wounded 57 in a rampage that spanned four locations in and around the north-eastern Thai city of Nakhon Ratchasima.

Thailand's Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin expressed concern over the incident.

"I am aware of the shooting event at Siam Paragon and have ordered the police to investigate. I am most worried about public safety," he posted on social media.

An armed man kneels on the floor next to a person who is lying on the floor with their hands behind their back, inside a shop

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2656821/three-dead-in-shopping-mall-shooting

heard voices telling him to shoot people.

past treatment for mental issues

and these little gems from the link above:

The mall closed early but many people remained inside, most of them police, journalists and assorted VIPs who had come to be briefed, among them Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin.

HiSo shopping mall gets shot up, entire Government rushes to location, to worry, over their shopping hobby )

Chada Thaiset, the deputy interior minister currently leading a high-profile crackdown on influential figures, was ushered to the place where the suspect was being held, and began interrogating him in front of the cameras. 

his logic process: ideal subject for high-profile crackdown on influential figures, 14 yr old boy... )

Pol Gen Torsak subsequently cautioned that the suspect had certain rights as a minor, among them the right to be questioned in the presence of a counsellor. 

( one sane Thai man )

The suspect is reported to be a student at a private school in Bangkok and his parents are professors. When police searched the teen’s room at his home they found many rounds of ammunition including 49 9mm bullets and 15 spent shells of various sizes. A search of his phone reportedly turned up videos of him practising using a firearm. 

I knew it! - HiSo... )

The first was a 34-year-old Chinese woman who died on the ground floor of the shopping centre. The other was a woman from Myanmar 

Well that’s OK then no Thais we’re killed

At 4.10pm, gunshots were heard from inside the restroom, and the gunman walked out and kept firing. At 4.25pm he went to the second floor and continued shooting. A few minutes later he rode the escalator to the third floor and continued the shooting spree there

Siam Paragon is 400 Meters for the HQ of Royal Thai Police literally a 5 minute walk or less than a minute in vehicles with Blues and Twos blaring, why the 15+ ( a few) minutes response time, was 4:10PM the time for their afternoon nap or did someone bring doughnuts in?

On 10/4/2023 at 1:34 AM, My Penis is hungry said:

Expat Private school lad I wonder

10 hours ago, My Penis is hungry said:

Umm I called it first! 

I see, I had not until know known, that HiSo and Expat were the same - that explains the deference I get in LOS...  :)

6 hours ago, Coss said:

I see, I had not until know known, that HiSo and Expat were the same - that explains the deference I get in LOS...  :)

in MPIH defense he never said HiSo but expat Private School. An Expat Private School is correctly  referred to as an International School.and International School fees are notoriously high. Many Thai families prefer to send their kids to these schools. https://www.expatarrivals.com/asia-pacific/thailand/education-and-schools-thailand

So given the the suspect went to a private school in Bangkok and his parents are professors (Average Salary approx 1 Million THB per annum the family don’t meet the definition of Hiso by any means and his educational status was no doubt a perk of his parents positions rather than a wealthy background.

MPIH 15-Love Coss