US Dollar falling fast

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone said: " When THB is mid 30s to the US dollar makes Thailand not such a cheap place to visit" Try being an Aussie when its 21THB to the dollar or worse still a Kiwi at 17THB to the NZ$ and having all the yanks call you a cheap charlie. Suddenly all you barfines double and the price of drinks also.

But for me there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have only one piece of advice....Buy AUD$ now. WHY you ask mockingly?

1. Not so long ago business here was hedging in at AUD$ = 0.70 US$ then the arse dropped out of the market because everyone was shoving their cash into $US.

2. Aust ecomomy largely unchanged during the asian crisis of 97

3. Commodities and minerals (particularly coal and gold) is now sexy and we export heaps of it.

4. Aust is only a 4 cylinder economy against the US V8 economy but we are in surplus and have been for some time.

5. Our dollar is largely under valued due largely to the fact that when everyone was going tecno we were considered an old economy driven by country hics....but who ended up with egg on there faces?

6. December 01 AUD$ = 0.49 US$

7. June 02 AUD$ = 0.57 US$ and tipped to hit 0.60 US$ by Xmas.

8. AUD$ now stengthening against the weakening US$ but stable against the BHT.

9. Our major minerals and beef markets (our largest exports) are in Asia (mainly Japan)

I am no ecomomist only a stupid miner but this trip is costing me $500AUD less than it did 6 months ago. Get on it while its going good cause when the arse falls out of the minerals market in 18 month due to over supply, and our current accounts deficit does a U turn when our exports are less attractive due to our rising dollar it will be time to sell again.

Good point, wage parity is something that i have often wondered about but have been loath to ask but I'll give a brief run down here in annual salary. I have never heard of a plumber earning that sort of money though unless it was during the lead up to the Olympics when there was a huge labour shortage.

If you could do the same it would be appreciated

Teacher: 50K

Mining Engineeer: 80K

Construction worker: 45-50K

Accountant: 40K

IT: 45-70K

Council worker: 28K

Forestry worker: 28-32K

University lecturer with PHD: 60K

U/G coal miner: up to 120K

Secretary/office worker: 30K

well I am concerned about the dollar sinking, but the truth is it will recover. It alway does. Over the years it has been up and it has been down against other world currencies. But I will keep my money in Dollars. The main reason the dollar is down is because the powers that be, decided to let it happen to make american goods cheaper abroad. And to make travel to the US cheaper for europeans. I think that when the tourist season is over and a few orders have been placed you will see it rise up a bit. (just in time for my trip to LOS) LOL. I see the euro as a good idea, but I also see it like the Canadian dollar. There have been times that the Canadian $ has been as much as 1.5 but now it is .65 I think the euro will do much the same thing, up and down. Of course all of the inside traders in the currency markets love that sort of thing. I know a multi millionare who knew about the pound rising against the dollar about 2 week before it happened. Of course I am just a small fish so I couldn't take advatage of it. But he made mass money. He is the one that told me why they where devalueing the $ It is mostly a bit of a game and us average folks aren't allowed to play. At any rate if I where ever in a jam anywhere in the world and I had to get myself out of it I think the only currency I would want would be a $ 100 bill. I don't mean to sound arogant ok so no flames please. Another funny line I heard was that the most spoken language in the world is broken english. LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Oh look .......... the dollar is creeping back above 42 to the US dollar. The "chicken littles" can now go back to sleep.

Amazing that with the US stock market averages looking more like bowling scores, the US dollar still holds its own.

Now equidistant from both 45 and 39 to the dollar. Which way now, boys???????

SS

I'll be in LOS in October. 45 is good. It was a little above that on my first trip in October 2001 then in May 2002 it was 42.62 so i'm use to the baht at the above 40 level. smile.gif I hope it goes above 45

DB,

Great chart. May I suggest an enhancement? >>

- Extend the X-axis back to before the 1997 crisis

Also, I think the base support line is probably the most important trendline on the chart, now that the Baht floats.

J22J

Archived