US Dollar falling fast

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyhow, something's going to happen by April '03. My guess is for a cheaper baht before too much longer, back to the 46 - 48 range.

DB, are you serious? For Thailand as for many other countries in East Asia it's a matter of pride to keep the exchange rates of the local currency to the US$ as high as possible, even if they hurt they own export chances. Is this your feeling(?) or do you have some evidence?? I am very interested to know more about that. You can private e-mail me any time. Thanks in advance.

I also believe the exhange rate is going to move back above 42, albeit only to the 43-44 range.

A big part of the weakening of the $ is the perceived non-transparency in the American markets. Huge ass generalization but I think for the most part it holds true. The markets have been tumbling. People have been fleeing. You can move to the bond market or go overseas. I think many choose to go overseas with their money because this problem was perceived as "American". Placing demand on other currencies and weakening the American $.

All those interviews with European business experts on CNN and BBC made me sick. Especially when they talk about the difference in the American culture and the European culture wouldn't let this happen in Europe. This was fraud plain and simple. This could happen anywhere. As for transparency... That's a joke. Listing in the US is the MOST rigorous place to list on the planet. It has the most transparent system with regards to reporting requirments and enforcement.

So I believe the exchange rate will recover further. There is no reason it should not. The American economy is not STRONG, but net economic indicators are definitely positive. No doubt about that.

Thailand's economy is not soaring by any means. Matter of fact, that US1 billion investment fund announced by Cerebus over six months ago has invested one $ yet. The fund was cut back to 500 million. I bet that's making a lot of investors mad that their money is sitting there not actively performing.

<<burp>>

I agree with your observations, and with DB's in the previous post. The Thai economy, and the reporting thereof by the BoT, have been shown to be an extreme case of the emperor's new clothes...

It is difficult to make short term predictions about the Baht, but as I have said before, the long term trend is that the Baht will weaken against the dollar.

Re Cerebus, the investors are probably thankful that their money HASN"T been invested yet, and therefore their investment hasn't lost value.

J22J

Actually, the SET is one of the best performing exchanges in the world, think I read it was up something like 30% a week or two ago. So many factors move this small market though I wouldn't recommend anyone to enter it without really researching the specific firm and having quite a long investment timeline.

<<burp>>

Gah, now what happens over the past few days? Still had good knews on the earnings front but more and more business are stating that earnings and company orders will decrease as the falling stock market has hurt their ability to raise money so everyone is now in a chuff about the economy with talks that the fed funds rate can even hit 1% (way out there, but talking nonetheless).

Who knows!!!! I think though it's companies trying to lower analyst expectations so they can look good when they beat them.

<<burp>>

• 1 month later...

Gummi wrote:

I also believe the exhange rate is going to move back above 42, albeit only to the 43-44 range.

Hey, gummi - 'looks like you get a cookie - $ just crossed 43 baht, with baht continuing to weaken !!!!!

Maybe its a Tamil Tiger effect ??????????

(or.... maybe its a "Tony the Tiger" effect, or a "Smokey the Bear" effect, or "Goldilocks" effect).

Let the good times roll !!!!!!

The Fighting Fish

StoneSoup

Yeah, but don't forget you guys who use the USD and GBP in LOS have had it very good for a long time, and still do IMHO.

Try being us Aussies getting 22 baht to the dollar, and even worse off, the Kiwis who get about 19!!! That sucks - big time! That's why I hate seeing Americans and English guys waving the bills around in BKK - it only drives up the prices and makes the girls greedy.

Archived