Singaporean TikTok user hospitalised after consuming fried silk worms in Thailand

Coss

Screenshot-2024-01-20-132021.jpg

A Singaporean TikTok user documented her gastronomic adventure at the night markets of Bangkok on January 14 when her intrigue in freshly fried insects landed her in hospital.

In a 30-second video, Nicolette Wee enthusiastically showcased her purchase of a bag of grasshoppers.

“So thick, fat, and juicy. Oh my gosh, the crunch and the legs were dangling out. I eat until shiok, legit.”

Shiok is a Southeast Asian term to describe something that is very enjoyable.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/singaporean-tiktok-user-hospitalised-after-consuming-fried-silk-worms-in-thailand

Undeterred by her insect escapade, the Singaporean tourist revisited the stall for more, this time opting for a bag of silkworm larvae.

“Why my office pantry don’t have these kinds of snacks?”

However, it seems her digestive system wasn’t prepared for this exotic feast, suffering what she described as a culture shock.

The aftermath took a serious turn as Wee battled diarrhoea, eventually leading to her hospitalisation in Bangkok. The Singaporean’s TikTok video chronicling this ordeal has since racked up over 290,000 views, sparking a flurry of comments from concerned netizens.

Some were quick to caution against such culinary risks.

“Never eat their insects and seafood if you’re travelling.”

This cautionary tale echoes a similar incident in August 2022, where another Singaporean suffered food poisoning in Phuket after consuming dancing shrimp, reported Asia One...

___

2 hours ago, Coss said:

The aftermath took a serious turn as Wee battled diarrhoea, eventually leading to her hospitalisation in Bangkok.

Soft Bint, Toilet Roll in the fridge and a pack of Imodium Would have cured it.

• Haha 1

I didn't see in the story where they actually linked the insects and her sudden case of the runs 🤔

Simple glass of iced water can have the same result.

Bit of karma for being a farken "TikToker"

A similar event never reported about happened at the Surawong end of Patpong II about 20 years ago when a German tourist after having left Strip Bar decided to enjoy dinner around midnight at a makeshift sidewalk restaurant. Said tourist after dinner took a taxi bound for Soi 8 but suddenly had to jump from the vehicle, run into a near park and take a dump behind the bushes.

Having read about the tragic event with the girl from Singapore I wish to offer my compassion towards this lady as well as my heavily delayed apologize for having polluted a probably sacred environment.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, buffalo_bill said:

A similar event never reported about happened at the Surawong end of Patpong II about 20 years ago when a German tourist after having left Strip Bar decided to enjoy dinner around midnight at a makeshift sidewalk restaurant. Said tourist after dinner took a taxi bound for Soi 8 but suddenly had to jump from the vehicle, run into a near park and take a dump behind the bushes.

Having read about the tragic event with the girl from Singapore I wish to offer my compassion towards this lady as well as my heavily delayed apologize for having polluted a probably sacred environment.

But you Sir, being a Quality German Tourist, would of “Self Medicated” using the aforementioned “Cooled Bog Rolls and Imodium” method, rather than make a song and dance about it in a Tik Tok Video and be rushed to hospital.

This ailment has been around since the beginning of time and goes by many names such as 

• Delhi Belly
  • Hershey Squirts
  • Liquid Shits
  • Montezumas Revenge 
  • The Trots
  • erc

In the past, people inflicted by such ailments was never deemed newsworthy, but unfortunately in todays modern society not only do the younger generations have to post all of their life’s little details online, the modern”Journalists” think copying this drivel from social media and regurgitating such constitutes  news.

Coconut water doesn’t stop the shits per ce, coconut water effectively treats dehydration due to mild diarrhea and is comparable to sports drinks at promoting rehydration in other instances of electrolyte losses 

4 hours ago, Mekong said:

In the past, people inflicted by such ailments was never deemed newsworthy, but unfortunately in todays modern society not only do the younger generations have to post all of their life’s little details online, the modern”Journalists” think copying this drivel from social media and regurgitating such constitutes  news.

That´s right, we are of one opinion as usual.

You might have noticed that my nocturnal event has never made it into Thai TV, neither the Post nor the Nation. I decided to refrain from publishing to save Thai tourism from serious damage. Millions of Chinese might have cancelled their holidays in fear of lifelong diarrhoe and worse.