The Western Men, are they kind or gullible?

jasmine

Hi,

What it says in Bhudism is "giving without hurting yourself". So if ones are unwillingly give, due to pressure is not a "give" without hurting the self".

Good monks ususally will not pressure or ask ones to give becuase of that concept. I just talked to my mother on the phone about wanting to give her messeus and her mother some money for the merit on my recent birthday. My mother just said, no money, just necessary things such as food and clothing becuase the masseus has a brother and son who drink a lot. So, we should also use our good judgement when we give.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jasmine:

Great informative post. Kept me contemplating and eventually here are my feedback:

1. You persisted and survived the human race. Your own skills and your mother's mindset and hardwork.

2. No - the Western Men who pays the bars are still just for the sexy sex - not kind. It's that simple.

3. Kind is the friends you had in school who helped chipped in.

4. Kind is the US brother who sent money to you as the grant.

5. Even a farang who married a Thai BG (or even not BG) but still going his rounds with the bar scene is not a matter of being "kind".

You've done what I always feel is the power of a Thai female. A true Thai lady. I feel the Thai lady is someone who is much stronger than protrayed as either "BG" or "lazy/dumb" or "rich middle class BKKian".

The true Thai lady is the heroine like the one in Khorat, the two lady heroines of Phuket. You are like one of them. I truly respect that.

Hi,

I really appreciate the feed back. I don't consider myself too much of an exception because I have met a few other Asian women, who were in worse situations and survived well, must admit though, none of them from Thailand with my background.

I lean towards "too trusting and too charmed" than gullible for the men you and I heard from this board and other media who helped these bar/non bar girls financially and the results are not the desired ones. It is good to have people who mean well and want to help the underprivileged, however some cannot appreciate it for many people do not learn how to appreciate things.

It is complex how our minds work, hopefully we are lucky enough to learn when we can or cannot help.

[color:"red"] The true Thai lady is the heroine like the one in Khorat, the two lady heroines of Phuket. You are like one of them. I truly respect that. [/color]

If I understand you correctly, you mean The lady Mae Mo and the 2 ladies who fought with the Burmese soldiers to save the town while the Husband was gone? I dare not compare myself with those ladies but you are right, ones never know what ones can do. :o

Thanks for the kind words, hope to see you post more.

Regards,

Jasmine

Yes, belief you know them definitely better. .. yes the women who are now regarded as heroines and have monument for them in Phuket and Khorat.

These past few days have been reflective stage for myself and some things in my life. The things that I lack the initiative and self-discipline to excel and be responsible. After reading some post like yours and others, I do feel inspired to stand up on my feet.

Thank you all.

Hi,

[color:"red"] These past few days have been reflective stage for myself and some things in my life. [/color]

The older I have become, the more I have realized that there are things we cannot control. However, if ones can step back and look at things in different angles, things may look different.

If you would like a different viewpoint or just an ear, I am as far as a PM.

Cheers!

:D

What I respect about Thais is the extended family, I see families time and again "Adopting" kids who are parentless, either through death, or just lousy parents.

Maybe I am lucky, but the Thais I have spent time with give a lot more, from what little they have than Westeners.

Often I see the Thais giving to beggers, not so often the westerner.

Often I will be asked by a group, to eat with them, poor people on streets have offered me a share in a meal - this doesn;t happen in the west.

I think the poorer Thais maybe give more than us westerneres!

<<He kept paying the 10% per month, which was Baht 1,000 for 6 years; we had to tell him that we didn’t want the money any more. This man, which I, respectfully called “uncle” lost most of his money in 1998 due to the Thai economy and I lent him $7,500 to get him started a plantain farm (with no interest), just got about $6,000 back due to the currency exchange rate, I have paid my debt of kindness. >>

Um Jasmine - question - you say "GAVE" 1000 Baht a month, 6 years - thats about 72 000 Baht, less the original 10, 000.

Therefore he gave your family 62 000 Baht.

HOWEVER when was this? What was the ecenomic value of what he gave you?

You in return gave back in 98, $7500, of which he gave back $6000.

Total gift of you $1500, Total gift from him about the same in todays exchange rates.

HOWEVER if you look at the value of what he gave you, when you could board at school for 200 baht a month - it seems he has given you more than you have given him?

What are your thoughts on this? Curious

Hello,

That was about 35 years ago.

I am glad you brought up the money value, for I never thought of it. What he gave us on the value is MORE than what I gave him. The most value, though, he did not have to give us or I did not have to give him, we both give each other from the goodness of the hearts.

However, I am glad it is pointed out on the value and thanks.

Cheers! ::

Archived