The Western Men, are they kind or gullible?

jasmine

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

In answer to some questions:

I came in on this thread about 8 posts in. Every response was glowing i.e. "best post of the year", etc. I responded to Jasmine, and at the end, said that nobody better flame this girl, because the mod won't have to...it's all the other posters you will have to worry about, with a smiley face. Simply an observation that every single poster had such high praise for her post, and they themselves would make you sorry if you were to flame her. I'm sorry if anyone took it in a more serious way, but was only meant to say exactly what it does. Nothing more.

Calling her a girl - she is one (I don't know her age)

Calling her a tilac - meant just as she took it. A term of endearment. The only Thai word for girl I know, except puuying. I call my friend's girlfriend tilac, too. I've been posting to Jasmine ever since she first came here.

Falling all over female posters. No. I do see her different in two ways, though. First she is a girl/woman/female/opposite sex/...and any other pc tag I might have inovertently ommitted. As such, I do talk and treat women diferently from men. Always have, always will. 2nd- because she is a female Thai, I hold great interest in hearing her views and slants on things. That's why I am here. Not to learn the latest football/soccer scores, but to learn about Thai women, and how they grew up, and their outlook on things. But that is just me. I suppose everyone comes here for different reasons. This might seem a bit boring for expats with Thai wives, because they already know most of the answers. I don't, and come here to learn these things. Jasmine is not just a poster..... she is an encyclopedia. For these reasons, yea...I do treat her different, and will continue to always do so.

Hope this clears things up for a couple of you. Any other problems with my posts here, feel free to call me on them. You know where to find me. smile.gif

HT

Dont worry, HT, we still love ya ! And Stick. And Jasmine, Jittima, GTG, Lazy Phil, Bangkok Phil, KS, DB, LG, OH, P127 (he grows on you...), FJ and the rest of the regulars. Now, if I can just convince a young Thai woman (Essensual) I introduced to the board several months ago to come back and share her thoughts - I fear we may have scared her off in earlier, more militant times frown.gif

Hi Artie,

Looks like I gotta be more careful/serious when responding to your posts! smile.gif

Who is Essensual? Don't remember ever seeing her post(s).

I'd ask you what you mean by more militant times, but I'm getting a little gun-shy, so will not. smile.gif

HT

HT,

I think you know what I mean by militant. It was an era of endless threads where the sole purpose of many of the posters was to have the 'last word', and flames were the inevitable result. Every argument and counterpoint was ruthlessly dissected and analysed, not for its value, but for any perceived weaknesses which could be used against the poster. I enjoy a spirited discussion as much as the next person, but some of it got way outta hand, and resulted in the recent crackdown by authorities smile.gif

>>>>Every argument and counterpoint was ruthlessly dissected and analysed, not for its value, but for any perceived weaknesses which could be used against the poster. <<<<

smile.gif Shit happens, and I hear what you are saying! Anyway, I don't want to highjack this thread, as I think it very worthwhile, not just for me.

Let it continue in peace!

HT

I'm replying to the original post here, though I'm sure I'm far behind in the discussion as I haven't read all the way through yet.

The question of greater interest becomes in my mind not if Westerners are all kind, but the statement that is implicit in Jasmine's question that Easterners would not be willing to aid a fellow person in need. That I find difficult to believe, both in terms of my faith in human nature and the kindness I have experienced as a guest here in Thailand and when I lived in Japan.

I think it's partially a matter of the level of disposeable income on the part of those coming here to Thailand. If one earns $60k in the US, clearing around $40k after taxes (approximately- I haven't lived there for a while now), then one might have around US$1-2k a month income do spend as one likes. If one meets someone who is truly in need, and can be helped by giving, say, 10,000 Baht a month then the foreign visitor might think hard about making a big difference in someone's life- something that might not be possible back home.

There's a great tradition in America, at least, of making lots and lots of money and then giving much of it away such as Bill Gates is now doing. There is a level of gratification in donating money to those in need that is far higher than spending it on onesself. I can't believe that this feeling isn't universal and that, if they could, Thais would extend the same kindness to those in need whether it be here or elsewhere.

Archived