The Western Men, are they kind or gullible?

jasmine

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it harsh? Well the lack of "fair play" runs throughout all levels of Thai society. From the 5-on-one fair fight, to double pricing farang, to protecting Thai monopolies from competition (foreign and domestic), to justice based on rank and privilege. Is education any easier for the lower classes to achieve now verse 10 years ago?

"Is it harsh? Well the lack of "fair play" runs throughout all levels of Thai society. From the 5-on-one fair fight, to double pricing farang, to protecting Thai monopolies from competition (foreign and domestic), to justice based on rank and privilege. Is education any easier for the lower classes to achieve now verse 10 years ago?"

Its not fair to compare Thai society to one with a much higher average income and expect the same when it comes to education, social security etc. Lets put your country on the same level and see what happens there?

5 on 1 fair fight? Which people do you mix with? Double farang pricing is not fair, but actually much worse in some other countries. When it comes to education there has been a recession in the 10 year period you mention. If you look at it in a 20 year period, education is easier to achieve for poor people. Facilities and schools have improved in poor areas.

Finally if Thailand is that "unfair" why go there?

The concept of "fair play" seems to be lacking in Thailand

---------------------------------------

maybe it's lacking in many business instances, but there are so many other levels in any society, one would have to be very knowledgeable/experienced about all the different levels of relationship in many different places to make it such a blanket statement.

I think I know what you are trying to say. It is not "fair play" that is missing, but a western culture of "rule of law". What Thailand has, as do most developing or third world countries, is a "rule of person". The law is a person, not a set of rules on paper.

This can be a rather alien concept for a most of Westerners, unless you grew up in the US south before 1970 or so (as in "you are in a heap of trouble, boy" laugh.gif).

TH

"There's a great tradition in America, at least, of making lots and lots of money and then giving much of it away such as Bill Gates is now doing."

I think it's a great tradition everywhere if one as rich as Bill Gates would certainly do. But how they do it might be different.

I've heard that in Thailand when one makes merit and shows it off people will call one 'tam boon aow na' (·ÓºØ­àÃÒ˹éÒ). Some might call Bill Gates 'tam boon aow na' as well. So, many wealthy Thais make merit quietly and quite often don't set up any foundation or something of that sort. They just donate directly to hospitals or schools or any charity organisations.

It depends how negative the views are. I thought it was a valid question considering that the post put down so many sides of Thailand and Thai people.

I think you put shygyes post in a far too negative light. I think he is just saying that thailand is not a level playing field. Ithink it is a very valid observation without ANY negative connotations about thai people.

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived