Anti-foreigner sentiment runs high

racha

Quite a rant there; well, if nothing else, I am now certain that you don?t understand my posts and don?t have a clue as to what I am really talking about. (Hint: my comments are not actually about Thais.) I?ll leave it at that and sign off from this thread with that one final comment as your comments have pushed this whole discussion into the silly zone.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FlyOZW,

Yes, this year (for the last year applicants), the Certificate of Residency has been issued for some.

The next period for application should be at the end of this year. Right now you cannot apply, only get your documents together.

The requirements are still the same, and a bit more stringent than in the past. A verbal test in Thai is now required, before it was not enforced.

Cheers!

>I?ll leave it at that and sign off from this thread ...<

very nice retreat after giving us all that bullshit of "farangs do not get residency permit" since thaksin took over.

very nice indeed.

well, i guess we will have another round in the future... wink.gif

>The requirements are still the same, and a bit more stringent than in the past. A verbal test in Thai is now required, before it was not enforced.<

that is exactly what i have heard after asking around a bit. and personally, i don't see anything wrong with a verbal test in thai. smile.gif

This is an interesting thread; makes me sorry I have not logged into nanaplaza.com for a long time. The business angle is particularly interesting for me because it is consistent with our perceptions over here in Hong Kong. I am visiting for two days on business, which is why I was interesting in logging into see what the nightlife scene is like these days, but I did not see this sort of thread here. The forum has loosened up.

I see the exchanges got rather heated, but I think Racha and gadfly make some very compelling points about how Thailand?s restrictions affect foreign businessmen and investors and about how about even talk of further restrictions by senior government officials not go down well with the international investment community. I handle regional investment work, and there is no doubt that these type of proposals, while not deal stoppers in of themselves, are not helpful for foreign investment or the Thai economy generally. Thailand has a reputation in this area, and it is not good.

I am not going to delve into the discussion about whether Thais are anti-farang as that seems to be a touchy subject for some (and that does not seem to be the point raised by racha, gadfly and others), but I will say I am confused by some of the responses made by others in response to commenst about business here. They don?t quite link up.

In particular, I am confused by the comment about permanent residency. One of our local expat contacts (and a friend of mine) is considering seeking permanent residency in Thailand.

I see flyzonthewall?s rather heated comment to gadfly: ?very nice retreat after giving us all that bullshit of "farangs do not get residency permit" since thaksin took over. very nice indeed. well, i guess we will have another round in the future...?, but when I scan the messages above I don?t see any posts by gadfly where he states ?farangs do not get residency permit" since thaksin took over.? I don?t see him go into the issue at all. It is a long thread; did I overlook a post or is just not there?

And more important, does anyone know what the rules are these days? Or maybe I should post this last question in the social/legal issues forum.

me and gadfly had some other argument about the resident permits a while ago, where he stated that they are not granted anymore.

whatever, if i might have done him injustice in that point i will apologise.

still though, his posts concerning business restrictions are to some extend a bit misleading. the last time i have had a look at the list of protected profession, which was a while ago, most professions of that list were taxi driver, farmer, any profession concerning working with wood like woodcarver, carpenter etc., the only nonlabour profession as far as i can remember was lawyer, but there are certain loopholes around as i know several farang lawyers here who work with a workpermit i think in positions as consultants etc.

and, a point he never answered, was the point i have made about comparing the situation in thailand with the situation in most other countries of the region, which is considerably worse.

living in asia is different than living in the west, but some people never seem to understand that. and, living as a foreigner in the west is also not that easy too.

>Fly,

Do you have permanent residency?<

no, i am on a yearly nonimm with workpermit. i just started considering applying for the residence permit one day. only thing is that i hate everything with excessive redtape, that is why i waited more than 6 years with my application for a workpermit. but that is just me.

FotW: ".... it appears to me that you are completely disgruntled with your life here. i really wonder why you are actually living here.."

It appears to me that you are completely disgruntled with other posters here. i really wonder why you are actually posting here.

Archived