Grand Palace - opening hours etc.

fatbastard33

According to a recent brochure, it is open everyday 9:30-3:15 p.m.Tickets sold until 3p.m. and a dance show at 10:30 a.m. and 2:00p.m. I think the King has a residence there more for special occassions. I am told he spends a lot of time in Cha'Am. Many years back, I saw him from quite a distance during a planting ceremony at the Grand Palace. Was not allowed to photograph, and had to stay way back. Also check out the Teak Palace (Vimanmek) and Wat Pra Keow (Emerald Buddha) and what ever the tuk tuk drivers tell you, the palace is not closed, so the King and Queen can pray! And if you are so inclined, take the water taxi across the river to Wat Arun! Enjoy! smile.gifsmile.gif

Last year I returned back to Wat Pho and the grand palace.. After doing a river cruise I walked up to the temples and was met by a guy on the corner , telling me they were closed.. "sure buddy, I have heard this scam before" Well guess what. IT WAS CLOSED. Amazing thailand. Just a friendly chap trying to help out a farang

The King's residence in Bangkok is in Dusit district, near the zoo. Its called Chitlada Palace and is surrounded by a moat and armed guards.

If you go to the Grand Palace, be sure to wear long pants, proper shoes and socks. I was turned back once because I was wearing sandals! Thais were allowed in wearing sandals!

I last visited Wat Arun in June. I was dismayed at how much it had decayed since my previous visit a few years previously. The higher levels were off bounds to visitors, so the grand views across Bangkok were not to be seen.

I think Wat Pho, close to the Grand Palace is well worth a visit.

When I was there in June, the Temple of the Reclining Buddha had two sets of shoe racks outside. One for Thais and one for the rest, and a supervisor to make sure you left your shoes on the correct rack!

i once arrived at 3pm with some guests from abroad (they had troubles to get up after a heavy drinking session) and it was already closed. early in the morning is much better, however then also crowds of tour group arrives.

regarding clothing it is no problem as you can rent proper shoes and clothes for free

If you go to the Grand Palace, be sure to wear long pants, proper shoes and socks. I was turned back once because I was wearing sandals! Thais were allowed in wearing sandals!

I doubt this.

You can rent acceptable attire right there. My wife had to rent clothes and at least half the people in line for renting were Thai.

TH

Hi,

"I doubt this."

I don't.

I have witnessed this as well. I was not allowed in (eventhough I had paid already!) because my slippers were not appropriate, yet Thais (who did not pay!) wearing slippers of a lot lesser quality than mine walked in unchallenged.

Granted, this was 4 years ago, but I would not doubt at all that this practice has not changed.

Sanuk!

They are very serious about attire still. I went there twice with thai Gfs, and both times i warned them not too wear skirts or long shorts, but they are stubborn. I have a ball taking a picture of them in the lousy baggy sarong dress they have for oblivious dressers. Sure spoils the visit for them but not me, and they keep watching at all the other tourist ladies, and if they see some flesh at the ankles of one, they say "why her and not me". But i am already ahead, taking my 79th pix of the ramakien mural.....

It used to be easy to go just before closing time, when it was around %PM, you'd get free and get the best time of the day for pix. Now, it is very easy to arrive late, if iot's not the first thing you do in the day. A lot of guys don't even bother visiting anything, even after 3 or 4 visits. A shame, IMO!

"I hear the King does change the Emerald Buddha clothes/ribbon for each season. Not sure if it still happens, can anyone confirm?"

The Crown Prince has been doing it of late.

Archived