Future Thai Sanuk site bombing?

Don't forget that back in 1994, a trio of terrorists tried to blow up the Israeli Embassy on Wireless Road with a truck bomb. They were foiled by pure chance, when the truck had a minor fenderbender with a motorcycle while on the way to the Embassy, but an employee of the truck-rental company was found in the truck murdered.

The "Bangkok Post" mentioned today that security has been stepped up at the airport and entertainment venues in Phuket.

All you can do is just continue to live your life as normally as possible. Can't let those bastards scare you.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<All you can do is just continue to live your life as normally as possible. Can't let those bastards scare you>>

Too right. Terror bombers are scum of the earth. ETA, IRA and Bin Ladin's cadres can go to hell.

"Heads up: I think people should think twice before sharing ideas on a public forum how to best devastate LOS. You never know where this information might wind up"

If a potential terrorist can not think for themselves on what targets they want to bomb, I dont think they would be smart enough to make the weapon. Agree?

Nearly a decade ago?, I read BKK Post newspaper article saying that one Refrigilator Wagon Truck parked illegally a couple of days on the load in direction to Israel embassy.

Police searched inside of Lage Refrigilator Wagon and found huge exposives to be detonated from driver seat and a dead man who was a driver of renta-car company which rented this truck to somebody.

Accordingly police investigation, this truck collidaed with a motor cycle on the road and look-like arab driver of truck escaped. I do not know the consequence of police investigation.

In my impression NEP would be safer than other spots against suiside bomb truck because it is difficult to assault into NEP since open bars inside function as barricade, and also parked car bomb outside NEP may cause huge casualties to Thai street venders rather than foreign tourist.

On Problem with NEP is if a fire ever started at the entrance.. There is a small exit under the escalators, but it is always full of garbage. There is no other exit that i know of. It indeed would be a huge fire trap.

...dont think they would be smart enough to make the weapon. Agree?

People on this board know better than anyone which places draw which nationalities, what days and times are peak, and which places would most easily incenerate. Someone making a weapon knows none of this without thoroughly casing the scene. The more work they have to put into this, the greater risk of capture which can be a deterrant. Certainly the chances of this making a difference in the scheme of things are about nil, but stranger things have happened.

Yes, Tanhauser, that was in 1994. That was the incident I referred to above.

The terrorists all escaped. The accident with the motorcycle happened in front of Central Chitlom, and the guy driving the truck went into Central. Everyone thought he went to call the police, but he just disappeared. Some time later, three or four...I think Pakistanis...were arrested in Hat Yai as being the culprits. They had apparently reentered Thailand from Malaysia. I seem to remember that after a few months of investigation, nothing could be definitely proved and they were all released. Anyone else remember this?

Oh, and the vehicle was not parked illegally. After the terrorist disappeared, it was towed to Lumphini Police Station and parked in front. This is near the Israeli and U.S. Embassies. (I can't remember why they were sure that the driver was taking it to the Israeli Embassy and not the U.S. one, but they were sure of that.) The truck sat in front of the station for a week, and then they decided to take a look inside. That's when they found the body of the employee; he had delivered the truck to the men, then they killed him and tossed him in the back. His employer thought he had just returned home upcountry, so was never worried about his being missing.

Apparently, too, there was a little toggle switch up front in the cab. If anyone had just switched it out of curiosity, it would have set the explosives off. Or so reorted the news, just very briefly, and never heard about that again, so I was never sure if that part was a mistake or not.

Archived