Marriage of Educated,Career Oriented Thai Female

jasmine

iuytrede,

This is a tragedy, and it highlights the fact that Thailand is still very much a 'developing' nation. I made the assumption that all Thais were given a basic level of education (even the BGs seem to be able to read and write Thai), but I was clearly wrong.

I remember coming back to my room in the LOS and finding my TG laboriously copying some text from a book that I had left on the bed and trying to spell out the words - essentially learning her 'abc's. No prizes for guessing how valuable that can be in lining up 'offshore investments', but it was also quite moving to watch an adult, and a streetwise one at that, struggling to master something that most of us had sorted by our seventh birthdays. I imagine that it takes longer to learn to write something as complex as Thai.

Good luck to both of you.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I send you a PM

I have talked to a friend and he reconned that the best ones are just east of victory momument on the road to din daeng. Walk from VM along the McDonalds side of the road and you will come across a few of them with signs in thai saying adult education.. If you walk as far as the century park hotel then you went too far.

>>>Thailand has a reported 96% literacy rate..<<<

that is again one of those numbers...

i am sure that they will be able to show all the documentation how the have been able to get to that statistic, but i have serious difficulties to believe that number.

just in my missus's family: one brother and one sister are illiterate, and i don't know how many cousins. some of her relatives are real hillbillies who live in the forest, and i think no one of that clan can read at all.

>>>Thailand has a reported 96% literacy rate..<<<

It's hard to get the real figure. For one thing not all the birth are registered at the Ampur. So, they don't know the actual number of children whom in the next 4 years should attend school. That might be your wife's relatives who "are real hillbillies who live in the forest."

They took the stat from the number of the children who go to schol and pass the grade 6 exam (or whatever grade they are using to determine the literacy rate). That in itself doesn't mean people can read or write. I've met some of the people who finished grade 6 but FORGOT how to read and write just because they don't read and write in their everyday life ! I'm not joking.

Also some schools have poor quality and don't want to fail their student to show to the higher authority that they are actually poor quality. The gap to meet the standard is very high, unfortunately.

Guys,

Regardless of the figure, whether its 96% or 56%, none of this helps iuytrede's GF. It remains a tragedy that a young woman is forced to learn such basic skills at such a relatively late stage in life.

I'm sure this is common in many developing countries, and it is not unheard of in the West : I mistakenly believed Thailand (or Southern Thailand, at least) to be further down the path to 'developed' status.

iuytrede,

Why bother with the Thai language at this stage. Why don't you teach her English instead? Let begin at elementry level. I know she can and will obsorb English at a much enthusiastic pace because she is eager to communicate with you. I believe this would be more useful and practical for both of you. Best of luck. csm

Archived