Marriage of Educated,Career Oriented Thai Female

jasmine

Hi,

Mind you, I never worked in Thailand and have been in the West over 30 years. What I meant was the manners, attitude and work ethics of the Germans/Europeans I worked with in Germany were different than the Americans who I am used to, not better nor worst.

I don't know much about the work in Thailand, just heresay from some friends and my family. The ethics of hard work is not very strong in Thailand and can be improved.

What you saw on the street, dragging their feet could be because of the weather, people don't move so fast in the heat like Thailand. I also feel that most of these people do not enjoy what they are doing, so the enthusiasm is not there.

Cheers!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>I am turning green with envy here and I am wearing a fuchsia dress and white jacket <<<

i generally wear jeans, t-shirt, flip flops. i shave every two or three days. generally i wake up somewhere around elevenish in the morning very slowly... ::

but you wouldn't want to see the miserable state my bankaccount is in... ::

actually, if you see people in the fields during harvest work, or in the rice mills carrying 100 kilo bags of rice on their shoulders in that heat you will change your opinion. thai labourers, like labourers in all poor countries do backbreaking work under very dangerous conditions for a pittance.

a few months ago one of my missus cousins was smashed by a huge stone while working in a quaery. he died before they could reach the hospital.

one of those urban myths that thais can't work hard.

one of those urban myths that thais can't work hard

------------------------------

seen from Pattaya only ::. If there's no work, there's no work, but i saw half a dozen guys moving my GF's mom's shack from one place to another in the property in one day, stilted floor, beams, electricity, doors and windows. Not exactly Saddam's mansion, but It takes me weeks to just pick up something from the floor at home, so hats off to these guys.

my missus and her brothers did that last week, moving two houses to our farm. one day taking them apart, moving them in four truckloads, each way about one hour. the building up was going at a less mental pace.

that's how the rythm goes upcountry - if there is no work - loafing around. as soon there is a job - twenty hour workdays!

ever looked at the sugarcane harvest? heavy!

Hi,

I saw people moved a house on stilts in Louisiana, fascinating, and I did not know that they do that in Thailand, dumb me.

Fly, my grandparents, both sides did rice farms and fruit farms, even though my paternal grandfather did something like "poo yai ban" are doing now also. When I was little, being bad about wasting food, my father took me to see how rice farmers worked, planting and havesting, to show me how hard it was for rice farmers and I had to help some. I learned that lesson quickly and never waste any food and appreciate the rice every time I eat.

I lack of knowledge how hard farmers lives still are. I saw how they worked in sugar cane plantation and could imagine how difficult.

[color:"red"] a few months ago one of my missus cousins was smashed by a huge stone while working in a quaery. he died before they could reach the hospital. [/color]

So sorry. Still there are so many places which lack close-by health facilities, still I think it is better than when I was little. Let us hope that the facilities and schools will be available to the people who need them, is there any government effort in this type project?

Cheers!

I learned that lesson quickly and never waste any food and appreciate the rice every time I eat.

------------------------------

the same happened to me in France. Our parents have always been very touchy about wasting food and bread even. They just went thru WW2, when they did not always eat as much as they would have liked, my mother certainly. then as my father was posted in Africa, they also learnt not to waste water, and to this day, i am very conscious about it, more than food. I have often seen my TGF waste food, typical poor issan daughter, and i finally asked her "ok, you come from a poor family, didn't your parents ever told you the value of not wasting food?". She replied no, that as poor as they were, there was always plenty of rice and at least some fish sauce to put on it, that the left-overs were always thrown afterwards to the few animals in their care, and no one made a bone about the need to respect what had been gained with their sweat. oh! Well........

Archived