Marriage of Educated,Career Oriented Thai Female

jasmine

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>Still there are so many places which lack close-by health facilities, still I think it is better than when I was little.<<<

i wonder often if it is better today for them. sure, you have much better healthfacilities, better schools. but the better schools don't give them the jobs either. land became unproportionally more expensive, so that a farmer who lost his land has not much chance to acquire ever new land. familystructures are collapsing. i spoke with my missus often about that, overall, she feels that even though the extreme poverty of her childhood, there was a lot more joy in life.

>>>I lack of knowledge how hard farmers lives still are. I saw how they worked in sugar cane plantation and could imagine how difficult.<<<

problem is that most small scale farmers either have already lost their land to the banks or are in the process of losing their land. that state of course breeds apathy. they survive day by day from from some jobs, in times of unemployment their food comes mainly from what they can hunt and gather. their children never learn what it means to think for the future. a very dangerous development for thai society.

>>>is there any government effort in this type project?<<<

there is. the royal selfsufficient small scale farming project, based on a system where families can survive on small plots of land of 10 rai upwards per family. agricultural universities all over the country give free lectures and seedlings to farmers who want to adopt that system. only problem is money again. mainy lower ranking civil servants and soldiers can buy land to very good prices and very good bank conditions, but that just did not trigger down to the really needy yet.

we are building up a farm like that right now, but if my missus would not have me, the family could have never afforded that land even though we got it extremely cheap. we bought 33 rai for about 260 000 baht, plus maybe another 100 000 baht in other expenses like machines etc.

one day i actually plan to ask the government for reimbursement. i think it should be the thai goverment's responsibility to take care of their poor, not mine... ::

Says jasmine:

Update!!!!

This lady is quitting her job of 18 years and is going to France to live with her husband. Big sacrifice she is doing, love is worth it!!!!
:D

She still can write from wherever she is.

Cheers!

Jasmine,

Really ??? All of a sudden ??? When ? where ?

Keep us updated, ok ? ...... and all the luck to you !

Cheers !

Hey Jaz,

How exciting for you! Bet you won't miss those looooong train rides to work every morning. And you'll be closer to LOS. Right now, you are exactly 1/2 the way around the world from there. Maybe get to see family more often now. I'm happy for ya.......

HT

Hi HT and All,

I am talking about the lady whom I wrote about in the first post of this thread, not me.

Sorry, the way I addressed it could be misleading.

I am married to an American and still commute to work 5 hrs/day.

What I found it surprising about the woman on this thread was, after all these years, she felt that being with her new husband (first marriage) is more important than pursuing her career. Grant it, she does not seem to need the money and writing full time can fulfill her. Well, I like that type of love story.

It is not me, ok?

Cheers!

"Just read an article about a Thai lady. She is a writer and a successful career woman (fluent in French and English), a graduate from Chula Univ. over 30 years ago"

Jasmine, I am just reading a book called "Letters from Thailand". Its written by a lady who graduated from Chula around 1970 or so. She uses an alias "Botan".

Is this by any chance the same lady you are referring to?

Cheers!

Hi,

[color:"red"] She uses an alias "Botan". [/color]

No, "Botan" is another writer, and the book you mentioned got her an award, I don't remember what award though. She became recognized after that book, she still writes in Kwanreun Magazines. I like her writing, and she has been happily married to a Thai for over 25 years.

The lady I mentioned does not write novels, she writes commentary on various subjects from fashions to politics.

Cheers!

my GF would like to know a place where she can learn how to read and write.

She has been working on construction sites (helping her mother) since she was 8, she is 20 and illiterate now.

She is not able to go to a hospital (needs someone to go with her to fill out the registration forms) or to use an ATM (cannot read the Thai instructions).

She can read and write her name and she recognizes most of the common Thai letters.

We would be very happy to hear about a place where she could go.

Archived