Crackdown Over! Police lay down the law!

Great reality logic Nepfan. Wish more of the punters had any clue about the business costs involved in any of these operations. Seriously appreciate your look at things. Hope we can meet on my next trip over.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nepfan Quotes

quote:

Rictic

Ridiculous prices.A bottle of soda costs 5B, 2 glasses out of a bottle minimum. A rip off.

A: And 100 dancers, 30 Dek serves, air-conditioning bills, police commissions, rent, repairs and maintenance, accounting, Manager salaries, 48 business licenses, Disk Jockeys with 500 CDs, Million Baht sound systems and lighting are free?

Then explain to me why you don't give me the full bottle of Soda, coke what ever. If I order a beer, which costs 28-30B at wholesale price, and sells for 110 in a Crown Group bar, you then charge me 90B for a glass of ice with some 2-3 bahts worth of soda, coke whatever thrown in. Don't even consider saying the price has to be that to cover the ice, cos i generally drink beer and get a glass of ice for no extra cost.

Don't give me all that crap about overheads i know all about that, by stating those items you are being ridiculous. Everyone knows about the overheads. Soft drink prices a an absolute disgrace. You don't even give me the full bottle, you do if I buy a beer.

Just ran into Randy, owner of Goldfinger and Superstars gogo bars in Patpong. He said they have been told to close the doors at 1:30 am starting this evening (Friday). He does not think this will be a short-term deal.

Also, he mentioned that when he was closed on the Queen's Birthday (Sunday evening), it was the first time he closed completely in eight years.

He was off to see his lawyer, presumably on an unrelated matter.

Flyonzewall,

Aren't you forgetting those other mafia that usually get involved in government to government foreign aid like arms dealers, bankers, gravy trainers and corrupt politicians? How much of that money trickles down to the village in Isaan? I much prefer my system ... cuts out the middlemen.

Yes, my phrase "official or otherwise" was a bit silly. It can only ever be an estimate as you say. At the time the sun was over the yardarm, I had strong drink taken and was clutching at cliches as well as assorted bits of furniture :-)

Was drinking in Pattayaland2 till 3am night before last. No change here unless you're engaged in illicit activities such as quiz nights!

quote:

Originally posted by robaus:

Flyonzewall,

Aren't you forgetting those other mafia that usually get involved in government to government foreign aid like arms dealers, bankers, gravy trainers and corrupt politicians? How much of that money trickles down to the village in Isaan? I much prefer my system ... cuts out the middlemen.

Yes, my phrase "official or otherwise" was a bit silly. It can only ever be an estimate as you say. At the time the sun was over the yardarm, I had strong drink taken and was clutching at cliches as well as assorted bits of furniture :-)

Was drinking in Pattayaland2 till 3am night before last. No change here unless you're engaged in illicit activities such as quiz nights!

Regular foreign aid - same same.

That's why I prefer help to help themselves. pumping in money can have an even worse affect.

Look at the village fund of one million baht per mu ban. Villagers can take loans with 7 percent interest rate. Great, as if village people are not in big enough debt already. Some of my old lady's relatives are going to get these loans. Me asking them how they ever think of repaying that earns me blank stares.

Policies like that might make great news but get people only deeper into the shit.

Quiz nights! Are you out of your mind!?

leave dirty stuff like that out of this beautyful country. Activities like that are subversive. Are you maybe a communist, anarchist?

I will consider reporting you to the relevant authorities! Expect the interior minister knocking at your door soon!

Suprising developments for a country where everyone seemed to be out to earn a commission.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to follow the money trail. If I could ask the question what is the best way of making good money out of squeezing bar earnings?

At what level would decisions like this be made?

quote:

Originally posted by KevinM:

Suprising developments for a country where everyone seemed to be out to earn a commission.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to follow the money trail. If I could ask the question what is the best way of making good money out of squeezing bar earnings?

At what level would decisions like this be made?

making good money of squeezing bar earnings?

rigged gambling sessions, supplying amphetamines, renting out shacks way too expensive come to mind.

following the money trail - difficult, it's the shadow economy.

decision making - greed is the factor. gullability makes it easy for the ruthless.

For a guy who has been working now with few breaks 11/6 for 3 1/2 yearsand with another 16 month's to go,

your all scaring the crap out of me.

Now I love Thailand any which way but I really do

enjoy having frosting on my cake.

Have any of you ever noticed how comonly Thai

ladies are gifted with full luscious lips ?

Have you ever noticed how they will purse their

lips while they listen intently to you just before

they crack one of their famouse smile ?

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: Pom_Jao_choo ]

There is a couple of possible scenarios that I can envisage here.

Firstly, I agree that there is a probability of price hikes, and not just for drinks. I reckon this will be more apparent in Go-Gos than beer bars and hostess bars as the overheads are higher. These bars could also pick up the benefits of opening earlier.

I have a feeling that these price hikes might have a greater bearing on putting off tourists than the opening hours.

I also think there may well be a rise in the amount of street prostitution. This is something that nobody wants to see, and it will be harder to police. It is a lot easier to deal with girls (and punters)in bars than it is on the streets.

Predictions of the demise of the Thai sex industry are nothing new, and I believe that rather than the beginning of the end this is the beginning of the 1am closing time. Who knows how long it will last, a week, a month a year or ten. But while there are girls able to earn a months wages in a night the industry will continue. You only have to look at the number of students turning to prostitution, and that is in the local sector.

Archived