What really buggers you in LOS?

limbo

Hi,

I established myself already as a cheapskate in a different thread I started by being annoyed that I'm getting overcharged at a certain restaurant where I go a lot compared to the locals. Sometimes thre two tier price system gets me going.

Now what does get you going, lazyness, drivers with no driving license, ordering a meal with a waiter and the cook makes up a different plate, immigration rules.................

You name it, I'm curious to see your reactions.

Cheers,

Limbo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taxi Drivers who risk my life every day again (yesterday I thought again my life is over), and don´t even know the way to the simplest places ! Don´t they need a license or something ?

They drive me nuts...as much as my gf´s complaints about the fact that it is too hot...

Other then that I am fine in LOS

I would have to say the road education, or complete lack of it. This driving is my right attitude reeks of materialism, the need to be seen. Driving is a privilege, and one most drivers here don't deserve.

Licence?? half of them dont have one, most motorcycle riders dont seem to have one, you dont even have to do the test, an extra 100 baht at the time avoids that. Speed limits, what are those? Following road rules and traffic lights and signs? dont be silly! If the police spent a month taking every unlicenced driver off the road and impounding their cars/bikes until they sat for a real driving test then BKK streets would look like New Years Day every day! wouoldn't it be great ::

Hi,

"I would have to say the road education, or complete lack of it."

Case in point. One of my colleagues was standing still on his bike waiting to make a U-turn. A car hit him in the back. When the driver got out of his car, he fell out, he was so drunk that he could hardly walk.

The police arrived, and *asked the guy to move his car* !!!! They gave him his keys back (which my colleague has taken from him) and let him get back in his car. The guy tried to flee the scene. Police gave chase and caught him.

When my colleague told me this I was amazed that the police would ask a drunk, who just caused an accident, to get back behind the wheel of his car. Un-fucking-believable!

Sanuk!

Likewise, Thais and their driving really goes on my nerves. I could rack up example after example here....but I think it suffice to say: Most Thais cannot drive. Not even basic stuff, like a left turn in an intersection. Really.

Anyhow, Khun Sanuks post made me think about an incident recently.

A traffic cop on a motorcycle pulled me over a few weeks ago. He was dressed in civil clothes, but his bike was clearly marked police with a red license plate, bells and whistles. The cop was so drunk he could hardly balance his motorcycle, let alone speak clearly. The cops intention was crystal clear however. Money-time. I nearly just drove off, but I -- seriously -- worried he'd shoot me in my back. I handed over a 100 baht to keep things 'in harmony'. -- Ten minutes later I saw his bike parked outside of one of the Sukhumvit 71 karaoke places...Great.

What really buggers me in LOS though is Thai peoples inability to speak straight. I cannot imagine a westerner who has not experienced this Thai phenomena.

1. The lack of or miniscule amount of government investment in the public education system. Actually, paltry government investment in social welfare programs period.

2. Foreigners who trumpet their personal prejudices, jingoism, and cultural arrogance while in Thailand.

3. People who can't accept that Thailand is Thailand

4. Foreigners who have a penchant for proclaiming what is Thai enough and what is not Thai as if they are a part of the collective Thai mentality.

5. People who think that every Thai person is supposed to behave according to some pre-set rules of social behavior.

6. Fellow countrymen who attempt to bond with me because we are a minority in a foreign country yet at home they could give two shits about knowing me because of social, economic or political constraints.

Why do I only hear "we Americans have to stick together" when I'm abroad and not in my own country?

Archived